The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've managed to raise about 40 ghost shrimp the past few months. Like most, I started with 10 feeders from the LFS. This was about a year ago when I first setup an aquarium (now I have 5!). Like most experienced, half died in the 1st two weeks. The other 5 did well, berried a lot, but in a tank full of fish and strong filtration, there was no hope of the larvae surviving.

About 5 months ago I was down to 3 females, all of which were berried and looked to be at the same stage of gestation. I moved them to a 5g with a sponge filter. A week or two later all the eggs hatched within a day. I removed the females as the eggs hatched. At first I saw no signs of life, but then after a couple days the "head standers" started to appear floating in the water column.

Although I had good visibility into the tank, I never counted more than about 10 floating in the water column. However, after a month or two I ended up removing about 40 babies shrimp into two separate 10g tanks. They have been doing great ever since. Some have even berried while still quite small. I don't believe I have lost any since. I recently cleaned one 10g and it still had 21 shrimp in it. They even survived 3 days of 94F temps when my heater go stuck on.

I use well water. PH 8.2. Rather high Kh and Dh (can't recall exactly offhand). Temp around 78F. 50% water change every two weeks. Both 10g tanks are low light. One is well planted and gets fertz and Excel, the other doesn't.

I should add that I have had rather poor luck with RCS. Started with 20 about 9 months ago. Now I have two. Never had any young or saw any females berry. I'm about to take another stab at RCS under different conditions (No fertz and no Excel).

·
Registered
791 Posts
I should add that I fed them baby brine shrimp and brine shrimp food. I witnessed the larvae eating both. You can actually see them go after the particles of food as they float nearby.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts