The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so is it in poor taste to breed some really prolific livebearer for the sole purpose of feeding the fry to my killies?

the killies i have that will only accept live foods already get a steady diet of blackworms, tubifex, grindal worms, and baby brine shrimp so i'm not really worried about their nutrition. i just kind of like the idea of having another kind of system to fuss over and maintain (any reason for yet another tank).

would fry even be nutritious? does anyone else do this or is this just outright blasphemy?

any suggestions for most productive/nutritious live biomass per time unit species?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Perfectly fine idea. Alot of people do that so they don't have to buy feeder fish from their LFS. They know the health and where their feeders came from.

Mollies, swordtails, guppies, or platies are prob your best option.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Go with guppies as even at adult size could be a meal. All the others suggested here could get larger than your fish may want to eat.

Gestation period or guppies is shorter than others as well...

·
Registered
135 Posts
i was just going to recomend a couple pair of convicts in ten gallons or something prolific like danio. A conditioned pair of danio or better yet two males and three females should drop about 300-400 eggs at least once a month. Takes a little longer to guppy sized but you get a LOT more at a time.

Though over all convicts have been my favorite less hassle with the eggs. Just leave it to mom and dad and some will make it :).

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.