The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small amount of C. hastatus and C. habrosus and I am interested in spawning them. I have them in a 5 gal tank with sand as substrate, somce crypts, moss and some slate. The pH is 7.6 temp around 80 degrees, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate ?. I'm feeding shaved blood worms, shaved brine shrimp and pellet food.

Anything else I should be thinking about or considering?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:hihi:HAHA good one. I believe you have found a way to show that I am in fact rather idiotic. A thread about spawning pygmy cories to which I have responded. NICE. Thank you anyways laura. :hihi: :proud:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was going to start a new post because I did just get some cory hastastus and pygmaeus to breed! I am so excited. I have both types in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank. The plants are pretty thick. You can't see the back of the tank. I never even saw the eggs. Then one day last week, I saw a half grown hastastus fry! This a.m I woke up and there were smaller fry on the bottom of the tank. I'm pretty sure they are the pygmaeus, but not real sure. They are so small. I do water changes with bottled drinking water at room temp. I love this hobby!!! Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank still needs to fill in plants wise. I do have lots of plants lying around, and I was thinking to add a lot of moss from my other tanks. Well see what happens. At least my other fish are breeding :) boraras maculatus, pearl gourami, gold rams, zebra danios (obviously) all luckily not hard to breed. Now onto dwarf cories since I don't want to keep buying them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you just want to get the occasional fry you can allow the pygmy cories to lay their eggs in a planted tank as their are lots of hiding places and some small food items for them to eat.

I had my best success by placing a dozen adults in a bare 10 gallon and after spawning on the glass I removed the eggs with a pipette and raised them in a seperate tank. I fed the fry micro worims, vinegar eels and baby brine and they were very easy to raise. I ended up with 110 cories but back then none of the shops I normally sold to wanted them because they were too small. Things have changed with more hobbyists doing small planted tanks and small fish are much more popular.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.