The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a hypothetical I have no intention at the moment to do this.I have some questions for anybody who has bred discus.
1 Is a twenty gal. tank large enough to breed two 6" discus?
2 How long should the parents be left with the fry so they can enjoy the mucus the parents give off?
3 After removing the parents what should be fed to the fry?Is bbs a good first food?
4 will they need a larger tank to grow out in like a 40 gal.?
5 I have researched a lot and it seems that they will need 4-5 feedings a day with food removal after feeding and 40-50% water change each day does this sound right?
6 Assuming a wait until they are at least 41/2 inchs how long might that take and how does one go about putting out the word to sell them?
My interest at this time is purely curiosity but who knows what the future might bring and you can't really have to much knowledge.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This is just a hypothetical I have no intention at the moment to do this.I have some questions for anybody who has bred discus.
1 Is a twenty gal. tank large enough to breed two 6" discus?
2 How long should the parents be left with the fry so they can enjoy the mucus the parents give off?
3 After removing the parents what should be fed to the fry?Is bbs a good first food?
4 will they need a larger tank to grow out in like a 40 gal.?
5 I have researched a lot and it seems that they will need 4-5 feedings a day with food removal after feeding and 40-50% water change each day does this sound right?
6 Assuming a wait until they are at least 41/2 inchs how long might that take and how does one go about putting out the word to sell them?
My interest at this time is purely curiosity but who knows what the future might bring and you can't really have to much knowledge.

Answers to your questions are:
1.- Yes
2.- Approx. 3 weeks or so.
3.- Yes, bbs is a good food to start with after weaning from parents.
4.- Yes.
5.- Yes.
6.- Probably take 6 or even 7 months to get them to 4.5" size, with real good care & proper feedings. Many hobbyist breeders advertise their discus fry for sale in several fish forums they belong to, particularly including simplydiscus.com - some also use EBay & Craigs List, & also offer them to Local fish Stores for purchase, or at least let the stores' staffs know they have discus available, to pass the word along, and place ads in local newspapers- whatever they feel may work for them.
Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts