The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I did a lot of research on CRS before I ordered mine from Kangshiang and one of recurring things I read throughout a lot of the posts/articles is that CRS tend to not breed in smaller tanks. I just thought I'd let you guys know that it's a myth - or at least not completely accurate. Just a few weeks after receiving my shrimp, I have one female carrying eggs (it's been 3 days now since I noticed). I have a total of 12 CRS in a 3 gal nano.

For the rest of you that are considering keeping CRS in a small tank, here are my water parameters:

Temp: 64 degrees F
PH: 6.2
KH: 4
GH: 5

More tank details are available in my signature.

Of course, keeping water parameters in line in small tanks is more difficult that it is in smaller tanks and water quality is of the upmost importance when breeding CRS, but overall it's been relatively painless. I do 25%-50% water changes twice a week, which in a tank this small takes me all of about 10 minutes.

Eventually I'm going to move the offspring to my 10g at home to distribute the colony a little bit in the event of a catastrophe like I just had a week ago in my 10g. My cats knocked over my unsecured DIY CO2 bottles (SECURE THOSE BOTTLES) and wiped out all of my 60+ cherry shrimp and 4 neons. I'm going to make damn sure I don't lose a whole population like that again!

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that. :biggrin:

So for those of you looking to keep or start off a colony of CRS in nanos, go forth and breed! :proud:

·
Registered
136 Posts
64 F seems really low. Someone posted that its easy to get a berried female but don't count your eggs until they have hatched (and I'm still waiting on my first CRS babies too). I don't see why they wouldn't breed in a small tank as long as your water is fine, but like you said, it is harder to keep parameters in check in a smaller tank, thus the recommendation for as big as you can.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a shot of my second pregnant CRS. I haven't been able to get a pic of the first one yet. But I've got two now!!!! :D (trying...not...to get...hopes...up) :icon_wink

·
Registered
135 Posts
you didn't have any problema about the gravel?I read some post in wich someone told that CRS and ada soil in some cases is a dangerous situation...
Do you have some post that give me a "insurance" that that gravel is not dangerous?Maybe is a well know question,:(
bye!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, as ianiwane said, you may just have to wait a little longer for it to cycle. Some people have reported ammonia spikes after adding Aquasoil, but as long as you cycle your tank properly you won't have any problems.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.