The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering if it was possible to breed crs shrimp for money and has anyone done it?
I stumbled upon this article:

http://aquariuminfo.org/makingmoney.html

and i wasn't sure if anyone had tried this or done anything like it. It seems like a cool idea where i can mix fish keeping and maybe even make some money?? is this possible? like it says in the website, can i produce better shrimps?
cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Sure you can make money from selling shrimp. Just find the shrimp that are in demand and breed them, and after you have a nice stock sell them. You have to move fast in this type of business because someone else is thinking the same idea.

Always try to get the lastest and greatest shrimp on the market, the ones that are to find Australia. I know its hard to import stuff into Australia but if you can its worth the risk. I'm not saying to it the wrong way, just remember that customs is a slow process and most of the time your shrimp will die during the holding period.

Anyways good luck and if you are ever looking for some cool rare shrimp give me a PM,

Gabe.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
There's all kinds of people that breed dwarf shrimp and sell them. CRS come in different grades ranging from C to S+++, depending on the individual shrimp's coloration and markings. C grade are cheap, S grade and above can get quite expensive. For example, an S+++ Mosura CRS can go for $80 at bare minimum. Take a look through here and you can get a better idea of what's available to you.

Edit: ninja'd by Gabe!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
can you translate that site for me, lol.
there's no reason that you can't breed shrimp and sell them. they are breeding machines. but if you can't breed a decent grade shrimp you're not gonna make any money unless you're pushing quantity.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
lol

And the LFS's can't get $5.00 for a $4.00 fish right now.

SteveU

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the feedback, it seems like it could be a good idea as the prices in Australia are still pretty high, like $200+ for a high grade shrimp. so i will start this pretty soon. thanks

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Just do your research and know what you're getting into first.

CRS are not quick easy cash for most people. Other shrimp like snowballs and yellow shrimp and blue pearls and whatnot are about as easy as cherry shrimp yet generally are pricier and thus have a higher return on investment.

Also, a lot of people have their first group die of stress. Its just one of those CRS things.

Good luck! Just make sure you do all the research and aren't thinking it'll be tons of easy peasy money. If you want that, plants are the way to go. :hihi:
-Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
It is really like anything rare. I buy and sell music equipment all the time. Find something rare for cheap, sometimes fix it, sometimes the seller doesn't know the value, then profit. The difference here is that you don't have to keep buying, your inventory makes itself. In my area, you have to go to great distances to buy CRS. I can buy them where I buy plants but often don't feel comfortable with my trip home. I am in a better situation than most. Do it if you love it but it probably won't pay your rent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kk yeah maybe i will try with an easier type first before i go with the more difficult crs.
How many shrimplets do you usually get from each type of shrimp? im guessing its about 30 for most?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i have bought the tank and supplies and im ready! i just have to wait for tank to cycle then i can add shrimp. so excited!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have begun planting and will upload some pics soon.
btw does anyone have crs for sale in australia here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts