The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So say I had this 20g laying around and I wanted to try my hand at breeding. And I had this pair of Orange Flash cacs, how would I know when they're ready and if they're...you know, into eachother? I thought they paired up? Also, what about the aquascape and are they amano shrimp safe?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I don't know how apistos are when they breed, but I used to have some amano shrimp in a 15g with a breeding pair of kribs. All was well until the male krib went berserk and killed one of the shrimp (also almost killed the female).

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
So say I had this 20g laying around and I wanted to try my hand at breeding. And I had this pair of Orange Flash cacs, how would I know when they're ready and if they're...you know, into eachother? I thought they paired up? Also, what about the aquascape and are they amano shrimp safe?
Hi ZLogic,

I breed Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red'. A 20 gallon is plenty big, in fact I breed them in a 10 gallon and raise the fry in a 20 gallon bare bottom. They like soft water, my dKH is typically less than 3.0 and dGH less than 5.0. I have had them breed in a PH range from 6.4 to 7.6. I use a temperature of 78 degrees.

I condition them mostly on frozen blood worms and some flake food. When the female is ready you will notice the male and female showing off for each, tail slapping, wiggling, and they will chase everything else away from where they plan on breeding. They like to breed in caves or the hollow underside of a piece of driftwood. Best guess, they will eat the Amanos or kill them when they are ready to breed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts