The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could get some help with a celestial pearl danio breeding setup. I have access to a 5g, 10g, and a 55 (which won't work). Right now I've got some in the 55 and the 10 but I just can't get anything to happen. I've tried moving them into the 5g with some moss but they just seem too skittish.

The 10g setup is medium planted but mostly epiphyte plants and has 10 CPDs now. I don't know the exact ration but it's probably close to even or even maybe a few more males than females. I feel like that tank is my best setup but I just can't seem to have any luck. I've tried bugbites, frozen daphnia and baby brine shrimp for foods.

I'm hoping some of the experts out there can help with a bit of direction where I might be going wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aflac

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Well, your first step, is to condition the fish. Feed them. Then feed them more. Then feed them again. And with high quality stuff like baby brine shrimp, none of that poor quality flake stuff you find at Walmart (even though I still love Tetra). It's better if you separate the males from the females. Make sure you do frequent water changes as well to keep up with water quality!

Once the fish are properly conditioned, you can stick them in the 10 gallon or even the 5 gallon. The males will chase the females into moss or other bushy plants and they'll spawn there. After 1-2 days, take the fish out, and look for fry over the course of a few days.

If you move them into the 5 gallon for spawning, only move 1-2 breeding pairs into the tank at a time. If you can expose them to morning sunlight, even better.

Here's a video by Mark's Aquatics on how he breeds CPDs, it's part of a series:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.