The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still more important brackish info.

I have some freshwater macros coming to me in 2 weeks so this doesn't apply to me, but I found this interesting just the same:

"This is the protocol for breeding M. rosenbergii as used at the Artemia Reference Center / Lab for Aquaculture, Ghent University, Belgium.

(it was set-up by experts from Thailand/Vietnam and our guys.)

1. Broodstock is maintained in individual cages, connected to a biofilter for recirculation. Daily siphoning, 10-20% water change. This water is very hard tap water, pre-heated / no additional treatment except aging. The system is at 28°C (peaks to 30°C kill them when they are getting old)
They are fed twice daily, commercial food for penaeid shrimp and vegetables.

2. When a female molts, a male is placed with her for 2 hours while she is soft. Longer and she = food. The female will lay the eggs within 24 hours.

3. Check if eggs stay. If they are on her pleopods for 1 week, they are sure to be fertilized. (Color will start to change from orange to dark green)

4. 16 days after egg laying, female is thrown in tank with biofilter containing 6 ppt brackish water. She receives no food. Check every morning to see whether larvae hatched. When this happens, remove female.

5. Collect the larvae into 10 liter conical tanks with 12 ppt salt, equipped with aeration to keep larvae and food suspended, an outlet screened off with fine mesh takes water to biofilter. Temp also 28°C.

6. From d2 start feeding with Artemia nauplii (no enrichment) a ratio 5-10 N per ml. Little cleaning is performed as the biofilter has a very big volume (100 liter). The only thing are the empty artemia cysts which can clog the outlet mesh. Siphoning is difficult with the small larvae. Measure ammonia and nitrite, and clean + change water if any of them is not 0.

7. After 3 weeks the zoea larvae metamorph into PL's.
From there, lower the salinity gradually with 1 ppt per day. Also, the artemia are replaced by finely ground shrimp food.

8. Ongrowing of the PL's is a piece of cake. The only things are a decent biofilter and enough hiding places so they don't cannibalize too much.

Like this, we have kept 5 consecutive generations of M. rosenbergii in captivity.
I can imagine that this system can be set-up at home as well:
a few small filtered tanks to keep the adults, 1 conical tank for the eclosion and rearing of the larvae (with air pump and biofilter), a bucket of instant ocean and 2 bottles to hatch the artemia, and a few filtered tanks to rear the PL's. You can reduce the maintenance by not trying to raise whole batches of larvae, but reducing them to an amount that fits in the conical tank without too much waste. Once they get 3 cm in body length, they get it bad, and we can only fit about 50 in a 50 liter tank. Subadults are almost impossible to keep without good hiding spots for the smaller ones, and keeping all 10 alive in a 250 liter tank at home was already impossible for me.
Perhaps smaller / less aggressive species might be more fun to keep though. Although the bull males are very impressive!"

1 - 1 of 1 Posts