The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time breeding bettas. Today i finally released my female into the tank! But i’m trying to give them as much privacy as possible so i haven’t been in my room watching them, but i’m not totally sure how to tell if they have bred or not? How would i be able to tell? Also my male seems to be struggle with wrapping around her. He just can’t really get fully around her and doesn’t really squeeze, he kinda gets his body around her but then just lets go. Will he start doing it right or do i need to do something to help him? Side note would I be able to leave them over night together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
If your tank is fairly big like a 10 gallon tank you can likely leave them together for quite a while. The male will generally guard his bubble nest and the female will lay multiple batches of eggs in the nest. He will sometimes chase her around but generally won't hurt her. Once the babies hatch the female will start trying to eat the babies. The male is much better and seems to guard the fry. After the fry become free swimming I remove the parents to reduce losses.

I now have literally hundreds of babies. They grow very fast on newly hatched brine shrimp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.