The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was considering breeding some betta fish this summer, but I hear they can lay up to 500 eggs and about 50-70 fry survive to adulthood. Considering that maybe half of them are males, how would I go about separating all of the males in a humane manner?
Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There is no real need to separate them, they'll not fight with each other. However, if you want to maximize the amount of adult bettas you'll get, you may want to periodically separate them based on their size - they grow with different speed and smaller/weaker ones will be eaten by bigger ones. If you'll separate them then don't try to put them back together, this may end up very bad. However, once they'll become adult you'll obviously still need to figure out what do you want to do with all of them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no real need to separate them, they'll not fight with each other. However, if you want to maximize the amount of adult bettas you'll get, you may want to periodically separate them based on their size - they grow with different speed and smaller/weaker ones will be eaten by bigger ones. If you'll separate them then don't try to put them back together, this may end up very bad. However, once they'll become adult you'll obviously still need to figure out what do you want to do with all of them.
I thought that as they become adults, the males fight each other, regardless of them coming from the same parents.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Dig a round pond, about 3' wide and 2' deep in the centre. buy regular plastic underlay used for house foundations. (brick houses at least)
It is cheaper than pond liner and is adequate for the duration of the project. Line your pond with some newspaper to protect against small sticks and sharp rocks, then your plastic liner.
TRY To make a raised border to keep wind blown muck out. Once you start pouring water in that plastic stays where it is, so try to get your wrinkles sorted first.
Now let your pond age for a month or so and get green, Put a water lilly or papyrus in the centre and lots of floating plants (LOTS). Insert breeding pair in once it is warm enough outdoors or in your greenhouse.
Your job is done. At about 1.5 month the babies will be the size of 3 month old tank reared fry.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
You do need to cup and sepearte males as they grow. Betta breeders on breeder farms in Aidan seedeater thier males or even all cry as they grow because they will get agrees ice as they grow. Trust me the large scale breeders would not bother depressing the young if they did not have to.

I've heard of people using .5 jars laid on heat tape to keep the young warm- must stay warm temps or fry growth stunt.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmm, looks like you have a very smart keyboard with advanced autocorrection. :grin2:

Anyway, the breeders in Asia usually separate them because they want to grow fighters. If you want to grow a nasty angry fighter bettas, you do need to separate males, the earlier, the better.

Otherwise, they can live together for long time. Eventually some may become too aggressive to keep with the others, some, on the contrary, too week (and they will become harassed by all others) - in this case you may need to separate them. But majority can be kept together till adulthood and then some.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Hmm, looks like you have a very smart keyboard with advanced autocorrection. :grin2:

Anyway, the breeders in Asia usually separate them because they want to grow fighters. If you want to grow a nasty angry fighter bettas, you do need to separate males, the earlier, the better.

Otherwise, they can live together for long time. Eventually some may become too aggressive to keep with the others, some, on the contrary, too week (and they will become harassed by all others) - in this case you may need to separate them. But majority can be kept together till adulthood and then some.
Not quite. The adult males fetch a bigger price if their fins are beautiful, not ratty from fighting. Young bettas can be kept together but they reach full maturity in 3 months so you don't have a lot of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.