The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple extra 10g tanks with filters laying around and I was trying to think of something I could breed in them, to hopefully get a little bit of cash or in-store credit. Aquariums are not a cheap hobby. I was thinking either bettas of white clouds, but with fish you have to mess with food for the fry, a place to let them grow, etc. So I came up with apple snails. They sell for a pretty good price around here ($2-$3) so I would hope they would be profitable. Plus I always liked them, though I never got any because of their plant eating powers. I did a lot of research on them and breeding them and I think I know what I'm getting into. I think I'm going to see if they are kept well fed I can keep some elodea or hornwort with them, even if it turns out to be mostly a snack. Any thoughts? Any one here who has bred them, either intentionally or unintentionally?

·
Registered
644 Posts
AmoAquafish said:
Any one here who has bred them, either intentionally or unintentionally?
Haha. I think anybody who has kept snails has become an unintentional breeder. I can't decide whether to bother selling my MTS and ramshorn snails or not. Lately I've been pulling them out of my 3g and dumping them in with my Oscar and Convict hoping a little population will survive and help clean algae in that tank, but I don't think any of the 200-300 I've put in there have made it more than a day. DOH!

·
Registered
562 Posts
hmm... I've watched a mystery snail suck out the guts of a ramshorn snail. I know that doesn't help the OP any...... but my mystery snails have yet to eat my plants.

edit: Actually, check out applesnails.net. They've got a lot of info and a forum. :) and, don't be scared off by the index page looking like one of those fake landing page things. It's just bad site design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to breed P. bridgesii (mystery snails) before it became illegal to ship them without a permit. Honestly, you'll need a heck of a lot more water than a couple of 10 gallons. When I was at my height, I was selling about 300-400 a month and I was using a 55g, a 40g, 2 10's and a couple of huge rubbermaid tubs. Baby snails need pristine water (daily huge water changes) and lots of good food to grow fast and beautiful. Even with ideal conditions, it still takes several months from hatching to dime size. Most stores want them bigger than that.

If you want something that's super easy to breed and raise in a couple of 10's and "in demand" with LFS... I'd suggest picking up a line of nice, brightly-colored show-type guppies or cherry shrimp. You can also sell them on Aquabid for a lot more than any LFS will give you.

Good luck!
April

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have an apple snail in my tank, and he mostly just gets by eating algae. I've seen him eating algae off leaves several times. Yesterday I did catch him eating a few leaves of new growth off my hygro. sunset though; perhaps that's why he's grown so quickly since I put that in there... It doesn't matter though, because there's no way he could eat it all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll just let my tanks stand empty for now. (gasp!) I still like P. bridgesii, so I think I'll get a few to go in one of my other tanks and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
my apple snails lay eggs regulary i have 3 in a 30 gallon with shell dwellers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts