The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, for BABY shrimp (not selective breeding, but who know what lies in the future) do i do breeder box (i have a 6 gallon) or 3 gallon blue aqua betta tank

I have 13 berried shrimp (wait 12 1 gave birth already)

i have a small filter, for the 3 gallon already (a palm) tank is like 20$ i think
i DO NOT have an air pump etc...

so if breeder box ... do i go finnex (comes with air filter or pump for 25-27 dollars) or marina (9$ medium PLUS air filter/pump cost ??)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the betta tank is not 3 gallon its just able to divide into 3 sections for bettas, i go breeder box and buy and air pump if you need one that way they will still be in the same tank water and wont have to adjust to new water when they get bigger

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aqua blue has a 3 gallon that you can add up to 6 dividers in (i wouldn't do that) it's just a 3 gallon tank 8" high

for breeder box, do i go with the finnex one that comes with pump?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Marina breeder box is the way to go. Cheap, and a silent air pump is maybe $12.

And this way your babies aren't moving to a new tank; they're unlikely to adapt as babies and probably won't survive changing tanks unless they have similar water parameters. Tbh I do it with my shrimp all the time, but my tanks all have very similar parameters.

If you do go with the 3 gallon betta tank, just make sure it has a lower TDS than your regular tank. For whatever reason shrimp survive going from a higher tds to a lower tds much better than the other way around.

·
Registered
429 Posts
been there done both!

I raised over 30 baby shrimps in a 2.5 gallon betta tank (the one you can put dividers in) I used Netlea soil on the bottom about 1 inch, put a marina I25 filter and a sponge filter (small corner style one) and a very small piece of driftwood (the type that has thin snaky like branches)

I put the berried females in this tank and as each had her babies I returned the females to the main tanks...left the newly hatched babies in the tank. I fed earthworm powder mixed with the tank water and syringed into the tank, usually around the sponge area where most babies eat. I also did the same with gravidas, sometimes I mixed both together.

When the babies were about 1 month old I started to feed them small pieces of algae wafers every 3 days along with the powdered food.

I moved all the CRS hybrids to my planted tank, and the tibees/tiger hybrids to the main 3 ft tank....all have survived and are growing very well.

I also used the breeder box to rais 10 red tiger x tt cross tiger babies...this I found was a bit more challenging, as not as much space for the babies to get around, and a bit awkward having to keep taking the lid off to feed etc (air stone thru the hole made it tight for anything else to fit thru like the syringe for food)

I currently have 1 baby BKK in my breeder box feeding off filter floss from another tank and an IAL leaf. I also feed some earthworm powder to it too (very little) Its surviving and growing and as soon as its more actively moving around the tank, it will be put into the main 4 ft planted tank with its parents.

Both ideas have merit, I was able to keep the PH in the 2.5 gallon stable from the Netlea soil which keeps PH around 6-6.2 The babies all adapted and I never saw any deaths, and counted 30+ babies from 3 different mammas in that time.

I am going to do this again with my BB and Snow white mammas in a week's time as I feel it was easier in the long run.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks... think i will go with the 3 gallon (could be 2.5) in the future (4 gave birth over the weekend).. all my tanks are pretty equal (i have 'country' water, so great out of tap) i'll seed it from my main tank..

quick question.. i thought the babies just ate the 'bio film' on the plants... thats what the last batch ate, hmm... i;ll have to check..

·
Registered
429 Posts
babies eat algae off glass, and biofilm develops on the sponge filters, so they pick over them. I never scrape my tanks glass sides and have babies crawling all over it. I clean off the front glass so I can see what's going on in the tank, but leave at least 2 sides with algae on them (not hair algae, just the stuff that grows on rocks etc) the shrimps keep it in check.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the information

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.