The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi @Ramon D,

Do you have any water parameters you could share? pH. dKH, dGH, nitrates (ppm of NO3)

I was hoping that the daily dosing of fertilizer would solve my problems (note that I have also been feeding root feeders like sword and lilly with root tabs), but every time things seem to be getting better some other plant starts melting again
What exactly are you dosing?

How much?

How often?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi @Ramon D,

The FloraGrow Pro Special Fertilizer contains no nitrogen or phosphorus, just potassium and micro-nutrients.

The two possibilities that came to me when I downloaded and reviewed your photos were phosphorus or magnesium. Please confirm your phosphorus level for me.

Possibly Zapins looked at your photo #2 and saw the purple discoloration (P issue) and the white flecks on the leaves (K issue).

I downloaded and I looked at all of the pictues. What I saw is the newer leaves looks good but as you described as the leaves mature the symptoms arise......this would indicate the issue is likely a mobile nutrient. The mobile nutrients are: nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, chloride, and molybdenum. Personally I homed in on the 3rd,4th, and 5th pictures.

In the 3rd picture the leaf margins are curling under, leaf margins that curl under (or over depending upon species) is an indication of insufficient magnesium. In the fourth picture if you look closely at the Anubias (Peace Lily?) leaf on the far right side you can see moderate interveinal chlorosis (dark leaf veins with lighter interveinal areas). The one 5th picture is the one that seems to provide the best clues as to what may be lacking

Arrow #1 points to a new leaf that shows little to no symptoms of interveinal chlorosis. Arrow #2 is an older leaf (based upon the amount of spot algae) and it is starting to show interveinal chlorosis. Arrow #3 points to the oldest of the three leaves, the interveinal chlorosis is advanced. If it were my tank I would suspect magnesium as the most likely issue.

II. Symptoms do not appear first or most severely on youngest leaves: Effect general on whole plant or localized on older, lower leaves.

C. Interveinal chlorosis. Interveinal chlorosis first appears on oldest leaves.

1. Older leaves chlorotic, usually necrotic in late stages. Chlorosis along leaf margins extending between veins produces a "Christmas tree" pattern. Veins normal green. Leaf margins may curl downward or upward with puckering effect. Necrosis may suddenly occur between veins. Potassium or calcium excess can inhibit uptake of magnesium...magnesium deficiency

When the external magnesium supply is deficient, interveinal chlorosis of the older leaves is the first symptom because as the magnesium of the chlorophyll is remobilized, the mesophyll cells next to the vascular bundles retain chlorophyll for longer periods than do the parenchyma cells between them. Leaves lose green color at tips and between veins followed by chlorosis or development of brilliant colors, starting with lower leaves and proceeding upwards. The chlorosis/brilliant colors (unmasking of other leaf pigments due to the lack of chlorophyll) may start at the leaf margins or tips and progress inward interveinally producing a "Christmas" tree pattern. Leaves are abnormally thin, stems are brittle and have a tendency to curve upward. Stems are weak, subject to fungus infection, usually leaves drop prematurely.
Based upon your readings I don't believe you have excessive potassium or calcium so I try adding additional magnesium and see if the plants respond. Here is what I suggest:
1) Continue dosing the nutrients you have with no changes.
2) Drop by the grocery or drug store and pick up some Epsom Salt. Get the cheapest stuff on the shelf with no additives, scents, or perfumes.
3) Do an initial dose to your tank of 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons.
4) Thereafter, when you do your weekly water changes, add 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons of new water added.

Then observe the new leaves as they emerge over the next two (2) weeks (do not watch the existing leaves leaves - they will not improve and may continue to decline). Do the new leaves look greener, healthier, and possibly larger? Has the growth rate improved with the additionof magnesium to your dosing? If so then we are on the right path. As these new leaves mature you should not see the interveinal chlorosis, premature leaf loss, and necrosis develop as you have been. Hope this helps - keep us posted! -Roy

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi @Ramon D,

Glad to hear that you are showing improvement. Magnesium issues take longer to show improvement because it is a mobile nutrient so we usually have to wait until leaves mature before we see improvement. Looking forward to your pics!! -Roy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts