The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a hundred pound boulder that I would like to break apart. It's mostly quartz aka granite and I don't have a sledge hammer. How do I make the 1 boulder into many pieces?

And the answer dynamite is obviously not helpful.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That's a big boulder... I think a sledge hammer, a jackhammer, something of that sort, those are probably the tools for the job. You could always try dropping it from a 2nd or 3rd story window on to some asphalt?

Explosives really wood make the job easier.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
If it's possible to somehow lift it and drop it onto some asphalt, i think that would be your best option... you'd get a lot of cool looking pieces, for sure. :hihi:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would try to score it with a grinder and the use a 5lb. malet and a chisel to break it apart.

If you hit it very hard with a 5 pounder expect all sorts of fragments.

Be sure to wear eye protection granite/quartz is very sharp when fractured.

·
Registered
794 Posts
go to a tool rental out let get a hammer drill and a .5inch drill bit drill a hole every 3 inches across the width of the rock then get a slide hammer with a expandable head and place it in the center hole lift the hammer and drop the force of the expanding hammer will split the rock right in half repeat until desired size is achieved

·
Registered
283 Posts
go to a tool rental out let get a hammer drill and a .5inch drill bit drill a hole every 3 inches across the width of the rock then get a slide hammer with a expandable head and place it in the center hole lift the hammer and drop the force of the expanding hammer will split the rock right in half repeat until desired size is achieved

Something tells me your name means you know a bit about rocks, I'd listen to this guy.

I have used slide hammers for sampling soil 10-12 feet deep, they're fun (the first time).

·
Registered
794 Posts
ya im a geologist and play with large rocks some the size of VW bugs and use the same method just a much larger hammer but i have done the same thing on smaller rocks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
http://www.ur.com/

United Rentals is where I refer my customers for heavy stuff. They rent everything from bobcats and lifts to generators and jackhammers, so maybe they'll have heavy duty slide hammers.

The ones I use are not really capable of destroying rocks, more for soft soil.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I was already thinking about breaking it with my head but that was too barbaric I was told. :icon_wink

·
Registered
427 Posts
take it to a local stone quarry and see if they will take it up with one of their loader buckets as high as they can and drop it on another larger rock to see if they can break it for you... we used to do this with large rocks that were too big to fit into the crusher at the quarry i worked at and it would split them into some smaller pieces

·
Registered
794 Posts
and the slide hammer method also makes pieces that are different looking or all the same size?
the drill and slide hammer method splits pieces in half.

also would these rocks leach any substances into the water?
99% of the time a granite is safe for use in a aquarium were did you collct it from

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stone quarry no idea what the origin is since it just said decorative rocks and I failed to ask since I figured that granite will be safe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts