The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I remember you change the oil and filter after a couple of thousand km and take it easy on the accelerator during this initial "break in" period.but now for a new Civic You wait until the maintenance minder tells you when to change the oil ,,,break in period or not.
Does anybody who owns a new car specially the Civic ,follow the manual/ the maintenance minder to do the first oil& filter change? or you change the oil sooner?

·
Registered
712 Posts
why not call the dealer and ask them? i'll bet they'll tell you to follow the guidelines in your manual. they might also tell you not to do the oil change any sooner, since you want to condition the car with the factory break-in oil.
-snafu

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did check with the dealer and read the manual but there is no reference to " break in period" in the manual and the dealer says that the maintenance minder is the only point of reference to the oil change regardless of break in period or not since it count the number of revolution of the engine to determine when the oil should be changed.
According to my calculation it would take almost a year before I need to do the first oil change!! It just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Two different "theories" on new engines/cars.

1. Baby it for the first couple thousand miles. No hard accelerations, clutch drops, etc.

2. Flog that thing like it's been a naughty little car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have always just driven the car like it's going to be driven. One thing about it is it's still under warranty and If it's going to break that is a good time!! Also as for oil changes I change mine at 3000 miles no matter what that stupid computer tells me.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IMO, engines, and cars in general are made to such tighter specifications, that a break in period isn't what it used to be.
Used to be that running the engine would wear things in to where they fit together better. The oil would be full of little metal shavings.
FWIW, I still oil change every 3K as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts