The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and been wondering if my Brazillian Pennywort will cause my tank to look smaller. Due to its large leaves it will make the space look shrunken, so I read. How can I place it to where it doesnt make my tank look small? Right now it is in the right corner and it makes it look small there.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Actually, Brazilian pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala) may not be the plant you want if you are searching for a visual illusion of making your tank look smaller. Those leaves can get upwards to 4 inches in diameter...we're talking crazy huge!. Only the top leaves (new growth) will be small, but the plant grows pretty fast.

Another option that has the whorled look is in the same family...Hydrocotyle verticillata "whorled pennywort". See if you can dig some of that up...you'll enjoy that look much better. Stays relatively compact and it grows via runners.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Have you tried to see what it would look like floating? That's the way I keep mine. Grows like mad, but a very attractive plant.
Cardamine has a similar look and has smaller leaves.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
One of our most artistic members pointed out a few days ago that putting large leaf plants to the front and small leaf plants to the back can fool the eye, giving depth perspective to the tank. You might try that just to see if it works for you. I have noticed that I like small leaf plants at the back, but not being at all artistic, I had no idea why that was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts