The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I have a 60 gallon lightly planted discus tank, it is my first planted tank so it is low tech. I recently ordered brazilian pennywort and 3 "bushels" of it arrived today. I have never had floating plants before but I thought I would give them a shot and this one sounded easy to care for. They all have long stems and when I put them in the tank they just turned on to their side with the leaves not facing upwards. Is this normal? If I leave them like that for a while will the leaves eventually grow up towards the light and be on top of the water? Any suggestions or tips would be great (even if you don't have this plant but have other floating ones). Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Here's a pic of it in one of my tanks - yes, it rights itself in a day or two - mine always get scrambled when I do water changes. I love it as a floater - you may not be able to see in the pic, but it has cool short roots that are suspended below it at each node. At the bottom of the pic you can see some that I have rooted - that's how it started in my tank, but it wants to float so I let it. All that you see floating came from three 7" to 10" cuttings from the planted ones. From three snippets to this in less than two months - low light, low tech, no added Co2...it casts a surreal lime green glow about the tank, and the fish love to hover under it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thank you for all the answers! Also driftwoodhunter, you have a beautiful tank!
well, not yet, but I'm working on it ;) Thanks tho!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.