The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time poster/brand new account so if I violate any rules, please let me know. I'm currently running a 20 gallon planted tank, with co2 injection via UNS solenoid regulator. Unfortunately, I love my Aquaclear HOB's so an inline injection (proven to be the best method) isn't possible for me. My question is this: Can I run a brass T-Splitter with co2 diffusers on either ends of my tank to simply have those misted bubbles spread more even? I can still control my co2 injection rate via my needle valve, but want to know if what I just described is feasible. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi all, first time poster/brand new account so if I violate any rules, please let me know. I'm currently running a 20 gallon planted tank, with co2 injection via UNS solenoid regulator. Unfortunately, I love my Aquaclear HOB's so an inline injection (proven to be the best method) isn't possible for me. My question is this: Can I run a brass T-Splitter with co2 diffusers on either ends of my tank to simply have those misted bubbles spread more even? I can still control my co2 injection rate via my needle valve, but want to know if what I just described is feasible. Thanks in advance!
Nope, sorry. Law of least resistance will make most if not all the gas go through only 1 of the diffusers. You would need to install a manifold after your solenoid and an additional needle valve to achieve what you want.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi @AquaThumb92

You can use the brass splitter after the regulator but you will need a needlevalve on each line to control the flow to each diffuser. I currently run three tanks 45,30, 20 off of one tank and regulator with a 3-way splitter. -Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, sorry. Law of least resistance will make most if not all the gas go through only 1 of the diffusers. You would need to install a manifold after your solenoid and an additional needle valve to achieve what you want.
So I happen to be a mechanical engineer by degree and trade and while what you're saying is true, the outlet pressure coming out of the regulator is gonna be relatively low. I don't think there'd theoretically be enough of a pressure difference to create that offset. I really appreciate the response man, I hope I'm not coming off as rude. Where would I begin to look for a proper manifold? Because it's a 5lb tank so it's plenty to run separate lines to like 2-4 small tanks. Even if I have to refill every three months, I'd be happy.

Hi @AquaThumb92

You can use the brass splitter after the regulator but you will need a needlevalve on each line to control the flow to each diffuser. I currently run three tanks 45,30, 20 off of one tank and regulator with a 3-way splitter. -Roy
Could a simple brass needle valve from home depot get the job done? I appreciate your response, thank you

·
Planted Tanker
5,993 Posts
I ran two lines off one with a splitter for a while. Same diffusers, etc. The bulk of the co2 will definitely come out of one only. In my case it didnt really matter because both were supplying the same tank. But yeah you're gonna want a needle valve for each line

·
Registered
683 Posts
So I happen to be a mechanical engineer by degree and trade and while what you're saying is true, the outlet pressure coming out of the regulator is gonna be relatively low. I don't think there'd theoretically be enough of a pressure difference to create that offset. I really appreciate the response man, I hope I'm not coming off as rude. Where would I begin to look for a proper manifold? Because it's a 5lb tank so it's plenty to run separate lines to like 2-4 small tanks. Even if I have to refill every three months, I'd be happy.
No offense taken. You can certainly give it a try and if it doesn't work you're only out a couple bucks anyway. But as burr740 mentioned above, it's the diffuser side that can see differing pressure. Even if from the same manufacturer, the porcelain can vary greatly between diffusers. Being you have the UNS already, this would be the most straight fwd option for you if you wanted to proceed w/ two NVs: UNS Pro CO2 Manifold Block

You can also reach out to Bettatail on here and see what he might have for options for you. I don't think you'll have much luck though w/ a Home Depot valve--typically what's out there can't reduce the flow enough for our particular needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS - If I were to do this, I'd also be sure to have uniformity with my diffusers, so hopefully that would help mitigate/reduce potential outlet pressure differences
No offense taken. You can certainly give it a try and if it doesn't work you're only out a couple bucks anyway. But as burr740 mentioned above, it's the diffuser side that can see differing pressure. Even if from the same manufacturer, the porcelain can vary greatly between diffusers. Being you have the UNS already, this would be the most straight fwd option for you if you wanted to proceed w/ two NVs: UNS Pro CO2 Manifold Block

You can also reach out to Bettatail on here and see what he might have for options for you. I don't think you'll have much luck though w/ a Home Depot valve--typically what's out there can't reduce the flow enough for our particular needs.
Yeah I totally see what you're saying, that makes a lot of sense. And even if I grind down my ceramic diffusers with a Dremel (I found that it diffuses smaller bubbles this way). I think what I'll do is have the t splitter and separate needle valves. And if that fails I'll definitely go for that manifold you just recommended! Thanks again. New here but loving the activity and knowledge here already. Thank you for a warm welcome ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts