The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to this hobby. I have a new week old 55 gallon tank with 3 small marble angelfish and 3 small Denison barbs. All juveniles. I have some Amazon sword and Java fern planted also, with some water wisteria and dwarf sag on the way. I also have 3 more Denison’s coming that should be here tomorrow. So far so good. I am going to do my first water change this weekend and I check my water parameters every few days. No ammonia, nitrite and minimal nitrate. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Hello and welcome!

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to do big weekly water changes 50+% every week and bigger is better. To that end you should invest in a water changing system (because siphons and buckets on a 55 gallon is horrible). The system I use is called a Python but there are a few out there that will do the job.

The other thing I recommend is figuring out your fertilizer system for your plants. I like Nicolg ThriveC for a low tech planted tank because its an all in one you dose just once a week after your water change.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
316 Posts
Welcome to the hobby Martha.
I use the aqueon water changer and open a window and connect it to a hose. dont want the dirty water going down the tap. As Minorhero said weekly water changes with up to 75% water removed. I have a 65 gal and the aqeuon water changer is fine does leak every now and then though. I didnt know much about water changers when I bought it so now I would have bought a Python water changer. The way they work is basically you attatch the water changer to a source of water hose/tap and the water from the tap moving through the contraption can create a force to suck water out your tank or you can literally flip a switch and water will start flowing into the tank. Any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. Right now I have a python siphon set up, may look into the one that attaches to the faucet. My aquarium is near a window so I may run the hose out of it for the water to drain for now. For my plants I bought a liquid fertilizer ( forget the name). It says to dose the tank with a capful every week. It’s all in one I think. So a big water change? I thought it was supposed to be 10-25% per week. Again, I have no clue really. Hope I don’t get water everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts