The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

Just grabbed a 5.5 Gal yesterday for kicks. I have never owned a tank this small before except for feeders or a quarentine. I was just wondering what you all thought I should do with it. Ya I know its my decision in the end, but I am really not sure what to do with it in the end because it is so small. I have seen some great nano masterpieces and I just want your input!

I am not sure if I will be more successfull having a shrimp tank, or if I should throw some fish such as endler in there, and when they start a spawning rampage mabey just cycle them into my larger tank for food, or give them up or something.

Some nice ideas would be nice too on scaping such as certain plants.

Right now the tank has a 25 watt heater, a stingray mechanical filter (small cheap filter that looks like the "spade" on a card) As well as 18-20 watts of flourescent light.

I plan on putting a layer of laterite on the bottom topping the layer off with a very small granule gravel, natural color. And Ill probably hide the cords behind the tank with a black background.

So what do you all think? Plants, rocks, and shrimp? Or plants, somekind of wood or other decor, and small fish?

Let me know!

- FB

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have grown attatched to 5g tanks... I just bought another the other day. I have all of mine scaped/planted with shrimp and Boraras cause I love the different shrimp available and the multiple Boraras!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it would be really neat if you did something a little different with the aquascape and plants and critters. I see that little Amano styles tend to be pretty common, and although very striking, it would be nice to see something else for a change. Just my opinion of course :) What about a group or two of contrasting stems, a unique piece of driftwood, some Downoi?

Some killies?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bumblebees are actually brackish species, but most are acclimated to fresh water (I have three in a fresh 5g.) As for puffers, it depends upon the species- there are some small brackish species that would do well in a 5g (though probably not with shrimp or anything small enough to eat.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow,

Hey guys,sorry, I have been terribly busy the past few days. Lots of replies!!

I get paid this weekend and I plan on getting things rolling.

As for now I will probably only get some fertilizer tabs, some gravel, pick up some rock, and some cheap plants to get her started. I think I am going to try a shrimp tank. I have never kept shrimp before besides for the cheap ghost/glass shrimp which I never acclimated the tank for them.

What kind of shrimp do you all suggest my first time around? I don't want an xtremley rare and expensive shrimp because this is my first time with shrimp and i dont want to mess it up. But at the same time I dont want some cheap shrimp that will only last about 3months like the ghost/glassshrimp did.

Could you give me some ideas as to species,prices, and expected life

Thanks!

-FB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.