The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I manage a marine facility for a research lab. I have been feeding the animals through one flexible tube connected to a dosage pump and running into the end of the filtration chamber, which then flows into up to 8 tanks, until recently, when I had to add filters to the water input spigots on the tanks themselves. We suspect the animals are getting less food because of these filters, so I am trying to branch the flexible tubing into each of the individual tanks instead. I am having a hard time.

When I branch, the algae flow will favor one side and I don't know how to fix that. Is there specific parts or tubing I need to achieve this? I tried t's as well as y's and it is not going well. The tubing is probably about 1/4 in thick but I am not positive.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Its always going to follow the path of least resistance especially if its not always under pressure. Can you ensure equal lengths of tubing with them all being at the exact same height? If not chances are its going to be a bit more difficult. Maybe a combination of solenoids might help what you're trying to do but you'd need a solenoid at the end of each line and a way to power it and time it so it opens when you need for as long as you need. Might be easier to use multiple dosing pumps.

Any pictures of this setup or info on the lab?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Multiple dosing pumps wouldn't work because each system is fed from the same 10 gallon container, so i would need 12 containers and 3 dosing pumps and that would be insane and thousands of dollars (the containers are autoclavalble and expensive). I guess I could go with a cheaper container since we do not actually sterilize those ones, but 12 lines is still a lot of maintenance. The valves might work but it will probably be tricky still. I work at NYU and take care of the sea squirts for a genetics lab. Maybe I can find a container with multiple valves also. I can't upload any pictures at the moment but I think I have some on one of my other threads. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Multiple dosing pumps wouldn't work because each system is fed from the same 10 gallon container, so i would need 12 containers and 3 dosing pumps and that would be insane and thousands of dollars (the containers are autoclavalble and expensive). I guess I could go with a cheaper container since we do not actually sterilize those ones, but 12 lines is still a lot of maintenance. The valves might work but it will probably be tricky still. I work at NYU and take care of the sea squirts for a genetics lab. Maybe I can find a container with multiple valves also. I can't upload any pictures at the moment but I think I have some on one of my other threads. Thanks!

I'm not following your math there; but why couldn't you use multiple dosing pumps all from one single container?

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is a tricky one. You could try connecting all lines to a manifold. As someone mentioned, the lines would have to be equal in length. You could also use flow controls to dial them in to try to achieve equal flow out of each.

I think to be more accurate though, the solenoid on each branch is the best idea.

I'm not sure how accurate your dosing needs to be, but to achieve perfect accuracy, a positive displacement dispense system would be the way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not following your math there; but why couldn't you use multiple dosing pumps all from one single container?
I would wind up having to branch it from the one spout to 4 lines to get to the dosing pump which would presumably give me the same problem as trying to branch is after the dosing pump.

Bump:
I would wind up having to branch it from the one spout to 4 lines to get to the dosing pump which would presumably give me the same problem as trying to branch is after the dosing pump.
Actually we have a strange dosing pump, but I can probably find one that is better suited to our needs that has a single input with many outputs. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.