The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brainstorming Backgrounds.....

1387 12
After viewing some AGA Aquascaping contest tanks for inspiration. I am thinking about tank backgrounds. :icon_idea

I really like no background but want something to hide equipment. Some tanks have white backgrounds with spray painted light blue to mimic sky this is pretty cool.

Anyone want to share your ideas for making a white background... Or just ideas on different backgrounds.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
My background is multi-purpose. I use black (comes in white, also) *Foam Board* on my tank. I like the plain black backing, but since it's foam board, it also helps insulate my tank from the cold wall behind it.

I sprayed it with clear acrylic to protect it from any possible water damage before I cut it to size. I used dots of aquarium sealer to stick the pieces together and the connections are all but invisible. I also have a piece of white that I'm experimenting with, doing sponge painting on it to create a muted background in blues and greens.

It's not expensive and you can get it at Walmart in the same place where the poster board is.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can try some of the different vinyl window appliqué's from Home Depot/Lowes/etc. They have various colors/styles to choose from. Some are just static application so easily removed, just cut to size.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Granny- sounds like a good idea!
I also have a piece of white that I'm experimenting with, doing sponge painting on it to create a muted background in blues and greens.
Please post some pics when you get yours up

try some of the different vinyl window appliqué's from Home Depot/Lowes
swoof- never thought of that.. I'll def. check that out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My background for my 29 is a thin black throw-blanket that I attached to the back rim of the tank with pushpins (on the outside, naturally). Kind of lame, I know, but hey it works! It started out as temporary to see if I liked the way a black background looked, but I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
My background for my 29 is a thin black throw-blanket that I attached to the back rim of the tank with pushpins (on the outside, naturally). Kind of lame, I know, but hey it works!
Not lame at all! Any fabric shop would have so many possibilities it boggles the brain!! You've inspired me to go shopping!

Fair warning about posterboard and foam board - it will water spot. I sprayed mine with clear acrylic sealer but I'm thinking other things might work - like paste car or floor wax? Paste shoe polish? Might be worth it to try something you have at home anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JasonG75 - I installed some window blackout stuff on a truck window once. Did you actually stick it on or just tape it on?

TankZen - While you're in the fabric shop you might look at those big rolls of polyester quilt batting ;) Works great on the top of the top box on my Rena and the price is right to cut my own squares compared to buying the fluffy stuff already cut to fit! I'm cheap! I like finding cheaper ways to do things.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
JasonG75 - I installed some window blackout stuff on a truck window once. Did you actually stick it on or just tape it on?

Stuck it.... just like you did to your truck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.