The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a new tank. No clue where to put it in house. Or much about what I want to put in it.

So my main love is live bearers. Have platies,guppies, endlers, least killies. So suggestions on other types and where to get them?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hex tanks are really hard to scape. The best ones I have seen use tall driftwood in the middle with plants attached to it. Maybe some vals or other tall thin plants in the back, with anubias and/or moss on the driftwood. I have also seen one with a tall larger plant like a sword in the middle, surrounded by smaller plants.

I actually have a hex that I am planning on making a DIY background for to cover the 2 or 3 sections in the back. I have been planning it for about 2 years now, though I have yet to do anything about it. Too many other tanks to mess with at the moment. :p

Stocking is up to you, just keep in mind that hex tanks usually have a lower stocking limit than rectangular ones due to their shape, though this wouldn't be as much of an issue with real small fish like endlers.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one and don't have issues with the scape, just trying to come up with livestock ideas.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the prob with hex tanks isnt scaping them its livestock. most fish swim laterally not vertical. and hex tanks just dont have the lateral room. i would say do a sand substrate and pygmy coryies. i have coridoras pygmaeus and they max just over and inch when adults, them something like maybe chili rasboras and find soemthing for upper level. i would do nano fish so they can have the most lateral room possible

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been eying pygmy cories and am thinking about those and CELESTIAL PEARL DANIO - those would be same area as the chili would have been right? what is a good upper level nano?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
CPDs could work but they are very active swimmers and a hex just does not give them much room to "run". They are mostly mid level swimmers. I had boraras maculatas in a 10 gal hex for a little while and they did ok. I now use it to grow out CPDs. For fry it works great but I wouldn't use it for adult CPDs. But then again it is smaller than your tank. Did you consider making it a shrimp tank?
Dwarf corys would be good. I prefer habrosus over pygmys. Habrosus stay even smaller then pygmys. They stay mostly close to the substrate but sleep on leaves. So they will occupy bottom and mid level. Maybe check into hatchet fish for the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts