The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been doing some research for canister filters. I will be upgrading to a 72g bow front planted tank. The tank I bought off Craigslist and a cascade 1000 came with it. But is missing pieces of course. I am thinking either get another Cascade 1000 off Amazon for $80 and keep the old one for some backup parts. Or just upgrade and get a top of the line one. I would like one that is a bit overkill, has media trays, and easy to buy spare parts for. Which is why I am a little deterred from the Cascade. But most reviews for brands and filters themselves are all over the board. So give me top of the line, American made brands, and which series I should look at. Cheers!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When you put in American made, you ruled out many, possibly all canisters. There are several which carry American sounding names but the parts are not made in the US.
I had a Cascade and understand why you would want to upgrade, I found it bad enough that it was the first filter I swapped off.

I now buy Eheim for canisters and when dealing with larger tanks, I find the 2075 to be a good choice for me. The Classic line is great (2211 to 2217?) but the design is now getting a bit old and there are lots of small points on the newer design 2075. Baskets, better latches and canister design, far, far better cutoff and removing the tubing from the can. The in and output design is one that I will pay extra to get. It comes in sections to let you choose how long to make each without doing a permanent cut on the plastic.
The spray bar in sections lets you turn some pointing down and some pointed horizontal if you like. The media is also included which can be a major difference in some other brands.
Just more money but far more nice points to like. Lower electrical usage and less heat from that also helps pay the difference when comparing to "American" names. Even the "American " names are often owned by many others. I doubt that we could ever find who really owns which companies. If you own mutual fund investments, you are also likely to own some stock in "foreign" companies. No longer a big question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I have been doing some research for canister filters. I will be upgrading to a 72g bow front planted tank. The tank I bought off Craigslist and a cascade 1000 came with it. But is missing pieces of course. I am thinking either get another Cascade 1000 off Amazon for $80 and keep the old one for some backup parts. Or just upgrade and get a top of the line one. I would like one that is a bit overkill, has media trays, and easy to buy spare parts for. Which is why I am a little deterred from the Cascade. But most reviews for brands and filters themselves are all over the board. So give me top of the line, American made brands, and which series I should look at. Cheers!
In grad school I managed a portion of multi million dollar fish room. Despite having some of the best sumps money can buy (think ~$5k each) I still supplemented their filtration with Eheim canister filters to remove fine particulates which circulated in the sumps. The Eheim filters were totally neglected for years on end but never failed despite some being choked to almost a trickle when their filter pads were completely clogged. Sometimes the really remote filters would get tipped over (only sumps had alarms for things like this), spill and run dry for days on end. Despite all the neglect once the filter pads were cleaned the canisters performed good as new. I never replaced a single piece of Eheim hardware aside from filter pads. Ever since then I can't really see depending on anything else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One more vote for the Eheim 2075. I replaced a Marineland C220(also a filter I like a lot) with the 2075 on my 37 to get more flow. I used the spraybar kits and ran it wall to wall along the back side. Great circulation and TONS of biomedia included. I stuff the bottom with floss,then two layers of the included bio media, and purigen in the top layer. I still have a bag each of the 2 kinds of included media for future replacing. Quiet too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.