The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone - welcome to my tank journal for my repurposed Mr. Aqua18" low iron cube. Previously this tank served as mixed reef and a mangrove tank. After combining the mangrove tank with another reef tank, I decided to turn this cube into a planted tank.

Dry Start : 1/9/16
Flooded : 3/1/16 (ish. not sure exact date)

Equipment
  • 18" Mr. Aqua Low Iron Cube
  • Fish Need It 70w Halide
  • Eheim 22314 Filter
  • Hydor ETH 201 In-Line Heater

Pictures

Video
https://vimeo.com/163118803

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Growth has been crazy, I have been trimming the tree and grass once, sometimes twice a week. I went a little overboard on the tree last night, but it will be overgrown by next week I am sure.

This was this morning with the natural sun light hitting the tank.

Tank maintenance is weekly trimming and 10 gallon water change. Daily flake food feeding for the fish. No co2, no fertz, and I am not even sure if the heater has been working for the last couple months.

Am I missing something as to why people over complicate things, or do I just have easy plants?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Thanks. Java moss for the tree and micro sword for the ground cover. ADA Amazonia for the substrate.
With ADA AS you can get away for quite some time without any ferts. Good plant choices, the micro sword might be more challenging over time to keep nice and green and the tank algae free without co2.

Artistically I think you did a really good job!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it too weird to request for a whole room shot? I am loving the speaker and the rustic metal modern trellis with the wooden table. I'm feeling the vibe. :) In fact, I'm feeling your entire aesthetic. Please take us for a tour of your house/studio. I am very curious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
With ADA AS you can get away for quite some time without any ferts. Good plant choices, the micro sword might be more challenging over time to keep nice and green and the tank algae free without co2.

Artistically I think you did a really good job!
Thanks! Good to know on the ferts and co2 for longterm health.

Is it too weird to request for a whole room shot? I am loving the speaker and the rustic metal modern trellis with the wooden table. I'm feeling the vibe. :) In fact, I'm feeling your entire aesthetic. Please take us for a tour of your house/studio. I am very curious.
Thanks! I will take a new picture tonight, but here is a further out view when this tank used to be my mangrove and macro algae tank. This was July 2015.
Mangrove Macro Tank by Brad Baldwin Photography, on Flickr

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've started to dose 2 caps of Excel during my weekly water change, and the tank is looking really good again. Had a bit of an algae battle, but pretty much gone now.

Will take fts pics soon.
This is the Mr. Aqua 25 gallon cube right? I have so many questions for you as I am about the buy the exact same tank (if you don’t mind)…

1. What filter do you have? What is the 22314? I was going to get a Classic 2215 for the tank.
2. Where do get that stand? I can’t seem to find many stands for this tank.
3. What is the build quality/clarity of the Mr. Aqua like?

Also….I would dose Excel everyday. Really helps with algae. If your concerned about the cost, just buy a big bottle of Metricide. I am pretty sure microswords die if your chop the tops off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome tank
Thanks

This is the Mr. Aqua 25 gallon cube right? I have so many questions for you as I am about the buy the exact same tank (if you don’t mind)…

1. What filter do you have? What is the 22314? I was going to get a Classic 2215 for the tank.
2. Where do get that stand? I can’t seem to find many stands for this tank.
3. What is the build quality/clarity of the Mr. Aqua like?

Also….I would dose Excel everyday. Really helps with algae. If your concerned about the cost, just buy a big bottle of Metricide. I am pretty sure microswords die if your chop the tops off.
Yes, Mr Aqua 25 gallon.

1. Not sure where I got 22314 from, lol. I will check tonight which one I have
  2. I built the stand
  3. Build quality is good, similar to all the ADA tanks I've owned.

On Excel, it is more if I remember to dose than cost haha. I am good about remembering to do it at water changes, but I forget to do it daily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.