The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have fallen in love with the look of ripariums as of late. I love the look of over hanging plants above the water line. I ESPECIALLY love the Banded Archerfish who benefit from this kind of set up because i can place bugs/feeder insects on the big leaves of plants and let them practice their shooting.
MY QUESTION: how can i make this work for these brackish water fish?

Some issues i am worried about:
-not being able to have plants in riparium planters (obviously because they wont survive with the salinity of water)
-does this mean i would need a separate fresh water source for the plants to sit in behind the tank maybe?
  • are there plants such as aroids, alocasia or others that can handle salinity?
  • mangrove trees grow too tall
  • what about salt creep? The humidity from the brackish water AND from archerfish spitting water at the leaves will coat them with salt. Do i need a separate misting system for the plants then?
Any help is appreciated. I am attaching a picture to give an example of the kind of setup im looking to create.
Automotive lighting Window Water Marine biology Plant

·
Registered
124 Posts
How about a freshwater archerfish species like Toxotes blythii? They're kinda hard to come by, but it would solve a lot of the problems you have. They're also smaller than Toxotes jaculatrix so you wouldn't need as large of an aquarium. My local fish store, Aqua Imports, has them somewhat frequently (they do online ordering and shipping too).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts