The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I scored on a brand new tub of salt. Enough for 160 gallons of water. I'd like to do a brackish tank with a single puffer. Anyone have a list of brackish plants?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There are salt tolerant plants and then there are brackish plants. Perhaps I did something wrong, but of the plants on that list I tried growing java moss, java fern, and wisteria in brackish water. They survived, but basically did not grow at all over the course of two years. Most plants just really hate salt. I thought I understood this pretty well, but it wasn't until I visited a mangrove estuary in Cambodia that I realized how true this is. For as far as I could see in every direction, for miles and miles, red mangroves were the only plants growing at all. That includes emergent growth.

I haven't tried it personally, but I have heard that elodia is one of the few salt-tolerant submerged plants that will really actually grow in a brackish environment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.