The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of starting a project out of the box of normal aquascaping. A 20gal long brackish 1.003-1.004 SG tank with med lighting and you heard me, no substrate.

The bottom of the tank will be absolutely littered with tiny and thick sandblasted manzanita and many small stones weighing them down. All will be covered in moss. Lots of moss!

There will be one 14" Mopani stump in the left corner that will have a big bunch of java fern attached to it.

Other plant ideas are water sprite, since I've seen it very successfully grown brackish. and possibly an out of water plant like dwarf taro or a brackish lily or surface plant.

I hope to keep a photo journal of my experiment and see how it goes. As for fauna maybe one lone figure eight puffer in the future.

Any plant suggestions?
What would be the best moss for brackish water. I've been told java moss is best. Any experience?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was searching brackish threads and saw you never got any replies. Don't see many fellow St. Louisans on here, so I thought I'd see how your project is going? I have read that lots of plants do fine at that low of SG. Any of the mosses, java fern, anacharis, hornwort, camboba, anubias, watersprite, etc. Also some rooted plants like vals and crypts, but the mosses, ferns, and stem plants would be better for your design.

I am in the process of setting up dual 2.5 G tanks that will be converted to brackish, but i'm looking at a higher SG. I want to try breeding nerites, so I'll be going for 1.005-1.008. I added a little substrate (Tahitian Moon sand mixed with crushed coral). I like the contrast of the black sand and the white coral, which is full of little shells. I put together java moss walls for the backs of each tank. I'm taking rocks I collected from the beach when I was in San Diego and gluing/tying java ferns and some flame moss. Each tank has a sponge filter and a small heater. I put them side-by-side and am using a Marineland Single Bright 18" - 24" LED running 12 hours per day. I'm waiting for my moss walls to grow out, then I'm going to add the fauna and start the conversion process. Once I get them to the right SG, my hope is to keep them going as breeding tanks and use a separate bowl to convert excess flora/fauna back to freshwater for my other tanks.

I have some olive nerites, but I'm thinking maybe zebra and/or tiger and horned nerites for breeding. I might also add a few amano shrimp and maybe some opae ula.

This is all assuming I don't get distracted by another project. I have a total of 10 tanks/bowls ranging between 1 and 12 gallons going at the moment!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
If you want plants growing out of the water you need mangroves. I wrote an article all about mangroves for ripariums that was in the latest issue of AMAZONAS magazine.

This tank is featured in an article in the current issue of AMAZONAS Magazine. I think it turned out pretty good. I tried to include some good specific information on growing the mangrove trees in a riparium setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Go STL! I'd love that magazine. Looks nice. My tank is coming along nicely. Must get pics. and I have decided to make it a riparium, my filter's output will be the waterfall. The only thing that concerns me about not having substrate is maintaining a healthy bio, but hey, bare bottom is preferred for fancy fish like discus so why not?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.