The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After starting my shrimp bowl(2g) a couple months ago, I am finally, within the last week, seeing baby shrimp. I started with six RCS, 4F and 2M, and all of the females were impregnated. A week ago, the first ones hatched, and within the last day, the second batch has come into being. There are still two berried females, so I'll be seeing a lot more shrimp very soon. I am worried about overpopulation though, as I've gone from six adults only to adding +/- 30 shrimp in varying stages of the life cycle quite quickly, and I'm soon to have at least 30 more. I have a 10g that has been cycling for a while in anticipation of a clutch of apple snail eggs that seem more and more likely to not be fertilized, so I'm thinking I will throw them out and give a new home to the shrimp. Filters(1 HOB and 2 sponge) should be full of bacteria, but the tank is just a bunch of gravel right now because I didn't feel a need to spruce it up for a bunch of baby snails. Would putting in a soil substrate with a sand/gravel cap right now be a bad idea, or should it be fine with cycled filters running? I will need to move in the next couple weeks, so I'm not sure about my best course of action...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
IMO one of the best way to get rid of shrimps is to sell them. If that's not fast enough, look around and ask some LFS if they are willing to buy it from you for store credit or maybe even straight up cash. This thread is abit too advanced [for me] but it seems similar to your situation. The user has a 10 gallon tank with seeded filter, but still had signs of instability due to his soil substrate. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/60305-ammonia-spike-new-npt-cycled-top.html

I'd ditch the soil for now and use it later when you decide to rescape after you move. IMO the new soil will do more harm than good. Someone with first hand experience with soil should be able to tell you more.

·
Banned
943 Posts
IMO one of the best way to get rid of shrimps is to sell them. If that's not fast enough, look around and ask some LFS if they are willing to buy it from you for store credit or maybe even straight up cash. This thread is abit too advanced [for me] but it seems similar to your situation. The user has a 10 gallon tank with seeded filter, but still had signs of instability due to his soil substrate. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/60305-ammonia-spike-new-npt-cycled-top.html

I'd ditch the soil for now and use it later when you decide to rescape after you move. IMO the new soil will do more harm than good. Someone with first hand experience with soil should be able to tell you more.
Yoiu know now that I think about it. I just bought 100ml purigen that I was going to put into my prefilter ..... but if purigen removes ammonia/nitrites the bacteria in the prefilter and canister wont be fed and die. So it would seem to be counter productive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pinoy - Thanks for that link. It seems to me that I'd only have to be worried about the cycle spiking for a week or two, from what I read over there. That actually may benefit the tank overall by encouraging overgrowth of bacteria initially within the filters.

GDP - I agree about ammonia removing resin being counter productive. It would definitely keep levels down for fish, but would probably just extend the time it takes to cycle the tank and guarantee that you need to keep buying products.

I think I am going to soil the tank today, and keep a close eye on the bowl. If params start getting uncomfortable I will probably bring some shrimpies in for trade. If everything stays cool, I will keep them in the bowl until the 10g settles down and I can move them into there. When would be the recommended time to transfer juvenile shrimp? 1cm,2,5?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about bare bottoms for shrimp. I know their colors aren't as vibrant with lighter substrates compared to darker, so I'd venture that the same would happen with bare bottom. I won't disrupt any parameters in the bowl, I'm just worried they are going to overload it when the babies get bigger.

I actually did set up my 10g last night, so now I'm just gonna watch water quality. I also will not clean it out for the move, I'm just gonna lower the water level and cover it(same with the bowl), take it nice and slow on the road, and hopefully not have any problems. I'll probably post pictures of it once the water is a bit more clear. I've got two HOB's running on it so it shouldn't take too long, maybe just a water change or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.