The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a bowfront 46 gallon for really cheap from my job. It was returned by a customer but appears to be fine just the brace is wobbly and a bit bowed inward but is still all connected. When I push the back and front glass outward the brace straightens out. Is this normal and/or safe? I am guessing the brace got a little loose like stretched out since it was filled before. I assume once I fill it, the pressure of all the water should push the glass outwards and make the brace tight and straight again. Hopefully someone else is more experienced with this. Let me know if this is safe and/or normal.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's totally normal for the brace and once the tank is filled it will be much more straight... though mine still bends a bit even when filled (and my 46gal is 10+ years old LOL)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
the center brace being bouncy is what it is supposed to do, if it were rigid it would not support the tank, when the tank if full i should have much less "play"

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
DrsF&S carries glass tops, I think they're called "euro" if I remember correctly?

I picked a new one up at Pet Supermarket last time my cat sat on and broke my old one... :icon_conf

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
if you get a euro top make sure its a perfecto tank, it will not fit on an AGA/Aqueon tank. If you have an AGA tank, you want a bow front versa

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wonder how the cat liked his "bath"? That must be one BiG cat! :rolleyes:
I didn't catch him at it, I just found the broken lid the next morning and paw prints on the tank. He's not really that big, he's just a really good jumper!

He's in love with plants. To eat, that is... he goes fishing in my tanks if I ever have my back turned. I know he's fallen in at least 2-3 times b/c I've found the streaks down the sides of the tank and wet spots on the floor with his paw prints running off... insane cat!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.