The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 10 amano shrimp yesterday, one of which was a VERY pregnant female with an extremely swollen tail that was twitching as though it were going to pop any second. Well by the time I got home she had indeed popped. Tons of little baby shrimp (about the size of a pinhead with a little tail, looked kinda like sperm actually) were swimming about in the bag.

Now I've read in the past that getting amanos to reproduce in an aquarium environment doesn't often happen because they require an almost brackish environment for reproduction, which my tank obviously is not. I have no idea if the tank they came from was brackish, but I would assume it probably was since this female was pregnant. So now what? Are all of the babies doomed because of a lack of brackish water, or is brackish water necessary only for mating and fertilization and the babies themselves should be fine?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Are all of the babies doomed because of a lack of brackish water, or is brackish water necessary only for mating and fertilization and the babies themselves should be fine?
The babies won't survive in freshwater and the adults won't tolerate brackish water, mating and fertilization occurs in freshwater. You would have to setup a salty tank to raise to babies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.