The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acclimated them for 2 hours and now they are in the tank. An hour since being in the tank and although they are not really all together, they seem to be grazing and eating up a lot of algae.

I would assume as they get more comfy in the tank they will hang out more together. Also is it a safe assumption that if they make it through the first couple days the hardest part is over? I hear acclimation is the hardest and most fragile part of the process. Also ensure they have loads of food (which I have lots of algae for them to eat).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had about 12 of them, and over time some died. I had plenty of algae in the tank... just sometimes they die...

The first couple of days is fine, its the long haul that you need to be mindful of. Algae has very little substance, you need to feed them veggies as well.

Funny thing in my tank a couple of days ago, I noticed a baby otto. I was shocked because I didn't recognize him/her.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I have found that the first two weeks are the hardest. Mine hardly ever hang together.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had about 12 of them, and over time some died. I had plenty of algae in the tank... just sometimes they die...

The first couple of days is fine, its the long haul that you need to be mindful of. Algae has very little substance, you need to feed them veggies as well.

Funny thing in my tank a couple of days ago, I noticed a baby otto. I was shocked because I didn't recognize him/her.

I am aware that I will need to supplement their diet as I already bought wafers and plan to feed blanched veg.

That's very rare from what I read, breeding otos. Can you tell me a bit more about your tank? parameters, ph, planted or not? I would love to breed these guys and grow my numbers as I have a lot of room in my tank for more housemates.

Whats your temp? the more info you can provide me with the better chance I can use that plus what ever else I read to come up with ideal housing to breed mine.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I bought 6 last Tuesday, there always seems to be one that likes to hang solo. Whenever I go take a head count of them it's like "where's Waldo" finding that one. Sometimes they scchool/hang out in groups or 2, 3, or 4 but usual not like more common "schooling fish". Really enjoy the little guys though ^^

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder why they are said to be schooling fish and like groups but when i buy a group they don't hangout. whats the point of having a group of 6 or more then?

I honestly would of bought more for my tank if they had more so not like I mind having 7 ;)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I think they're more comfortable when more of their own are around. Mine seem to move around a lot more than people say their solo tank otos do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts