The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought 2 GBR's and they were $15 I read online on how to sex but I believe all of them were female...

here are pics of the ones that I bought still in the bag doing a drop acclimation.

here is a pic of the smaller one which has what looked like red/pink spots on its belly

Here is the other one...

sorry about the image quality as I took it with my phone.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, they were $15 for both... The most expensive fish I have are torpedo barbs which were $18 ea. Ahhh! I love them but I wasn't willing to spend that much on a fish but my gf said to get it as I work to pay bills and save money for if situations so I deserve to spend some quality money on enjoying my life. I am 23 going to school to be fire fighter/paramedic while working 3 jobs at the same time. Lol! I haven't been on vacation since I was 17. Ok sorry for the vent. Back to what I was typing. I wouldn't have spent $15 ea the lady was trying so hard to sell me electric blue rams for $25 ea.

·
Registered
417 Posts
hard to tell for sure, pics are kinda blurry (I know how hard it is to get a good shot while in a bag). Biggest give a way is the Male will have a very elongated dorsal rays in the first 2 and little to no pink in the belly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry that I have not posted on this thread as I thought I had subscribed to it and I had not... I went to use my camera and the batteries were dead, I put the battery to recharge plugged it back in and still didnt work! I ordered a new battery but I have spent some time observing them and I don't know if this is how it works or they just do this normally but they are always togother... the first one is always following the other GBR in the bad picture which everyone thinks is male. as soon as I receive the battery I will take a picture and post it (according to Fedex tracking I am supposed to receive it today.)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New pics!

ok, I couldn't get the better camera so I used my itouch again hopefully these look better than the previous ones...

I didn't want to start another thread for this but I spent the last 1 1/2 hrs watching my fish and I noticed my 2 male rosy barbs rubbing/scratching up against the fork that I had in the tank with a zuchini piece. I got worried so I took the fork out, then they starting rubbing/scratching against plants and the gravel. I also noticed the female GBR rubbing/scratching up against this piece of DW which I bought off of a member here.

Here is a pic of the DW with the GBR right before she rubbed/scratched on it.

I have no Idea what the white stuff on the DW is but I thought nothing of it and I have never seen my fish rub/scratch themselves on things in my tank. should I be worried? what can it be? what can or should I do about it? I was thinking it could be ick but no white spots on fish, so I thought bacterial infection.

My water params are:
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Any help will be VERY MUCH appreciated

Thank you
Bradley

sorry that the pictures are not good...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.