The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
provided that you put lots of java moss at the bottom. would they be happy & breeding? the tank is 30G and there wil be no fish in it except for a few Ottos.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Its possible if you did have java moss. Shrimp like something they can grab onto.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
FWIW, I has never had any sustained RCS colony in a bare bottom tank, even with a lot of moss.

I will not tell you how much $$$ I have thrown away buying shrimp. I finally succeed with an 5g Eclipse hex tank, eco-complete and some low light plants, no ferts, no CO2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, I have red cherry shrimp in a 2 gallon fish bowl and also in a 1 gallon "pickle jar" with no substrate. just moss. In both cases, they do well and have even bred. I notice they are not nearly as colorful as the shrimp in my other tanks that do have substrate (fluorite in one and black gravel in others). A 30 gallon tank with no substrate may look kinda barren. The gravel gives more surface area for biofilm to grow on. You could also add leaf litter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the cherries will generally color up with a dark substrate and have less of an intense coloring in lighter substrates. So I have no idea how java moss will affect their coloring but health wise I think they will be fine

·
Registered
216 Posts
you can paint the outside bottom pane black.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They will live just find in a bare bottom tank, but in my experience they do much better with a small amount of substrate! Why not just throw a very thin layer of black gravel in there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so 4 months ago i decided to go with black eco-complete, some rock, driftwood, java moss and assorted plants.

i bought 25 red cherry shrimps from one of the hobbyists on this site. about 10 of the original shrimps have died but the rest have started a small colony in my 30G. today i have about 100 of these little guys inside the tank.

maybe i should take some pictures :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts