The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this tank four weeks ago. I've have had a few low-tech and DIY co2 planted tanks, but this will be my first dance with pressurized co2.

Specs:

• 29g tank
  • Tahitian Moon Sand Substrate
  • Eheim Classic 2213 Canister
  • Nova Extreme SLR 30" T5HO light
    • 1 GLO Life-Gro bulb
    • 1 Current Freshwater bulb (will likely swap out w/ GLO Life-Gro)
  • GLA Ultimate Regulator (Fabco NV-55 needle valve)
  • GLA co2 Diffuser 3000 (until I can build a rex-style reactor)
  • CAL Oracle Drop Checker

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some Week 4 pictures right before co2 was connected to the tank.

Current plants include:
  • Ludwigia repens
  • Hygro Sunset
  • Needle Leaf java fern
  • Windelov Java Fern (trident)
  • Crinum natans
  • Riccia fluitans
  • Blyxa japonica
  • Hydrocotyle leucocephala
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii
  • Cryptocoryne balansae
  • Cryptocoryne walkeri var lutea
  • Unknown Moss
  • Red Root Floaters

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank looks a bit cluttered to me right now. I have only seem limited growth from the stem plants since they were introduced two weeks ago. The co2 should help that, and allow them to fill out some of the bare sections.

The two large Cryptocoryne balansae plants on the far left were added today so they are a bit limp right now. I expect them to come back over the next week or two.

The big 4" pot on the far right will be removed tomorrow after a trip to the store. That will allow for more stem plants on that side of the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sure the bottom feeders appreciated them. My cories love hiding out in the shade underneath the wood in my 20g and 10g tanks.

Good luck with the change to pressurized. I think you'll like the combination with low-light. You'll get some very nice growth.

I don't love the background, too busy for me, but if you like it, then that's great. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The background is one of those things I regretted as soon as the tank was setup. Most of my tanks have no background so I loose light out the back and it looks funky to see wall there. I was worried that the black wouldn't be good, so I went with the pattern side instead. I'll fix that as soon as I have some time to dig behind the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The background is one of those things I regretted as soon as the tank was setup. Most of my tanks have no background so I loose light out the back and it looks funky to see wall there. I was worried that the black wouldn't be good, so I went with the pattern side instead. I'll fix that as soon as I have some time to dig behind the tank.
Don't sweat it. My first tank had neon blue gravel and a yellow diver dude with bubbles. If I can over come that... You have much, much less to overcome. It is only a small detail.

I'm liking moss walls now. Since yours is a low-light tank, that might be fun to try.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankfully I never made the mistake of the colored substrate, but I still have river rocks in many of my earlier tanks which doesn't work well with the plants.

The moss is actually sort of capping the end of a piece of driftwood. There is about a baseball sized swatch with a bunch of shrimp living in there.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the light. I have 2 T5HO bulbs which some have said was "high light". I thought it was more medium light. Anyway, I have an additional 1 bulb T5HO GLO unit I was planning on putting on the tank if I need it when the co2 kicks in.

One of the things I struggle with right now is that with a 30" tank, the ends are a bit shadier which is emphasized in the pics. The GLO unit will let me put it off center, so I'll be able to position it for better placement over the stems on the far right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is an updated pic for week 6. The picture doesn't really do the tank justice.

The Riccia flutans are doing well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow, looks great, Bottomfeeder. Floating riccia (floating like in the wild) looks great in your tank. It looks a lot better without the background too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts