The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read threads on this forum that say the hijacking kind of snails people get in a planted tank are your best friends. I have read the exact opposite, suggesting that these snails will eat plants.

So, which is it? If they will not eat plants, why are lettuce and zuchinni such great bait for those trying to get rid of them?

I have noticed a few in my tank - hijackers from the LFS. At the moment, there are no fish, inverts, or anything else, so I would think if I wanted to get rid of the snails, my options are fairly high. The one option I had most considered was salt. I will be doing a WC prior to any fish or shrmip additions anyway.

So which is it - kill the snails to protect plants, or do nothing unless their popluation explodes?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bottom Line: It depends. If my snails appeared to be eating my plants I would nuke'em in a second, but they don't so I won"t some people just don't like the look of them and sometimes it really does irk me to see them on the glass but mine pretty much stay off the glass except at night. I really think it's just personal preference.

Brian

·
Registered
562 Posts
So far, in my big tank, snails are the only thing that'll eat through the hair algae growing on the back wall. Now, granted, they're not very efficient at it, and it would be much quicker for me to just wipe the junk off, BUT me being the strange person that I am, I rather like looking at the little trails they create when eating.

I guess all that means is that it is definately a matter of preference.

Lately, though, my Leopard Cactus Pleco seems to be eating the snails. I only guess this because there seems to be a large quantity of dead snail shells right next to and inside of his cave.

I like the snails because there are the occassional fish who like to eat them, and mine have yet to actually bother my plants. But then, there are plenty of snails out there that will gladly munch on your plants. -If you intend to keep the snails you have, you should do some research and see if there is a high liklihood of them eating your plants, and make a decision from there.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
snails rock... I love having ramshorns (the small kind). They work their tails off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My ramshorns just bit a hole through two leaves on a sword, and perhaps nibbled a little on a wisteria, but it looks like that's about it. As long as it's not crazy, I can live with it. Not much I can do about it at this stage anyways. I don't think the LFS will let me "borrow" a clown loach :rolleyes:

·
Registered
670 Posts
be careful if you decide to NUK them can cause serious after effects-Ammonia surges from their rotting carcasses, or if you use chemical-could have copper which can adversely affect plants fish and especially other inverts(shrimp)
personally I like the little guys-they do great food clean-up after my shrimp and help with any algae. I have several kinds and I haven't noticed any severe eating of plants. A nibble here or there is all. If they're getting enough to eat they don't seem to eat plants.:icon_cool
just my 2 cents or 3

·
Registered
256 Posts
See that's what I've always wondered. If you give them enough to eat, don't you get a population bloom? Seems lose-lose to me ;)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you use them as a clean-up crew, you'll be OK. You run into problems when you actively and consistently overfeed your tank and have TOO much excess. Then you'll get tons and tons of those stupid things.

·
Registered
670 Posts
you have to find a balance of not overfeeding and still having enough left over for the snails in only 1 of my 5 tanks do I have a problem and it's my fault. Overfeeding-yes will cause a population explosion.
I only have it in the 1 tank because there are only 15 shrimp right now(new) and I feed a variety of foods that are hard to make into smaller portions. I just throw a slice of cucumber 1 a week and remove what ever snails are on it. Then I squish them and feed to my angels and turtle. problem solved. the other tanks have the same snails and no problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts