The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed about two weeks ago that one of my betta fish started to turn white on the top of his body and then eventually be started to act sickly too (to the point where I’ve thought he was dead several times now). He stays still, either near the heater or the back of the filter, on the substrate (sand), or in the plants and just lays there. I’ve started a medication for Itch a few days ago, and no difference. He does still swim and seems to be eating.

Earlier this week though, i’ve noticed the same thing for my other betta fish as well. It doesn’t seem to be any other common disease. What’s going on with them?!

P.S these pictures were when he was in his hospital tank. He’s normally in a 3 Gallons.

Iguania Lizard Reptile Automotive tire Wood

Reptile Scaled reptile Wood Lizard Automotive tire

·
Registered
802 Posts
How long have you had them? Were their tanks cycled? Do they have filters? Did you run any water quality tests on the tanks?

Broadly speaking, my first thought would be poor water quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had them? Were their tanks cycled? Do they have filters? Did you run any water quality tests on the tanks?

Broadly speaking, my first thought would be poor water quality.
for about 6 months now the tanks have been cycled and seem to be doing fine as i’ve had no issues. They do have filters and heaters. I do run tests using strips and sometimes the nitrate goes up a bit but that’s usually when I do a water change. As for diet I alternate between flakes and pellets by bug bites and occasionally they get frozen blood worms too.

if it’s poor water quality, that just means more water changes?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get the good test kids with the chemicals and vials. The strip tests are not reliable.

I'd do a partial water change as a first step, but it's really hard to diagnose the problem based on the photo and description.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the good test kids with the chemicals and vials. The strip tests are not reliable.

I'd do a partial water change as a first step, but it's really hard to diagnose the problem based on the photo and description.
Okay thanks for your feedback. What more would be helpful to help diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
802 Posts

Complete water tests with the API test kit. Do you have pics of the full tanks and the fish from the side?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check if your city has started putting anything new in the water. they are not required to say anything as long as it's safe for humans, dogs, cats and (maybe) birds. They very well could have put something new in that's not safe for your fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts