The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February of this year, I purchased some Bosemani Rainbow fish from a breeder via aquabid. They are now in my 75 gallon with the following roommates: 1 yellow Gourami, 5 Brochis catfish, 5 Giant Danios, 7 Ottos, 100 or so red cherry snacks shrimp and 2 Amano shrimp It was winter when I ordered them, so purchasing 10, I assumed I would get 8 or 9 after shipping casualties. The seller shipped an extra 3 and they all (13) survived. Upon arrival, they were but a few months old, still unsexed and bland in color.

The rainbows are starting to get a bit larger, the largest being 2.5 inches or so but most in the 2 inch range, and It looks like they are 3 females and 10 males (not the ratio I was hoping for). Currently I am not having any issues-all my fish are getting along and my water quality is fine, but I need to start getting a definite future plan together. What is the actual adult size I can expect for the Rainbows-the information on the web isn’t very consistent? Likewise, my giant Danio’s and Gourami have not really lived up to maximum sizes listed on most sites-they are all about 3-3.5 inches and I have had them for nearly 2 years. I have seen estimates on max size for all 3 species (Danio, rainbow and Gourami) maxing out at 6 inches. I am new to rainbows, so I don't know what the behavioral dynamics will be as they age with this m/f ratio.

What are everyones thoughts on the eventual growth I can expect from my fish, specifically the rainbows, and do you have any recommendations on how I should adjust my stocking for future success? I doubt upgrading to a 90 or 110 gallon tank would provide much benefit, and I don't think I am in a position to start from scratch and spend all of the money that would come with upgrading all of my lighting, stand etc to get a 6ft long tank. Do I have any chance of getting away with things the way they are long term? Thanks much for your help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The bosemanis I kept grew close to 5". I had 4 and don't know the sex ratio. For the most part, bosemanis were peaceful. But they were in a 7 foot tank. Not sure how the behavior will change in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ive seen some at the fish shop at about 3-4" on display. They should still be fine in a 75G even at 4". They can take a while to grow at that size (unless you feed live food everyday)

Instead of upgrading to a bigger tank, i would even out the M/F ratio and sell some males.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My limited experience with rainbows leads me to believe that the more water changes, the faster they grow. They also seem to respond well to power feeding (many protein meals per day) and some greens once a week.

You will know when its time to thin out the males. When they're in fresh cooler water, like after a water change, they will start flashing the females and headbutting each other for dominance. When the flashing, posturing, and possible fighting (I've read not all fight) starts, you will know they are no longer curious juveniles, but adults with intent.

I would Target a trio, keep both females, and only the best male.

My turquoise male is approx 4". I stopped the power feeding and water changes because he was stressing out the females with his sexual aggression in my small tank, and all the food was too much to keep up with the maintenance on, even with 16 cories and a kuli loach.

I was given this advice by a local bosemani and red breeder that sells to a lfs. They have both bosemanis and reds in their main tank that are 6"+

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Do you know what lake they are from? Bosmani from lake Aytinjo tend to stay smaller 3.5"-4.5" range. Many of the LFS "brand" can reach pretty nice sizes, but grow pretty slow.

They are a gentle fish and usually only squabble with their own kind.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently re-homed my six 4 inch turquoise rainbows from my 75 gal community tank because it was an issue of the other inhabitants not getting any food. I had to actually fend them off so the others could eat. They are eating machines. They otherwise where never aggressive to any other fish and spawned often.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I recently re-homed my six 4 inch turquoise rainbows from my 75 gal community tank because it was an issue of the other inhabitants not getting any food. I had to actually fend them off so the others could eat. They are eating machines. They otherwise where never aggressive to any other fish and spawned often.
LOL that they are, all my species of bow scare the crap out of me during feeding time. I have had a few almost jump out of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts