been telling me to not spend as much on
food, but more on the supplements.
Which would you guys say is the most
important for a CRS/Fire red tank?
(Mosura Products)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stout is really cool stuff, barely is also a nice one to have around since you can't over feed it. Stout is a big plus for color and is good for spreading food across the whole tank.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Stout is really cool stuff, barely is also a nice one to have around since you can't over feed it. Stout is a big plus for color and is good for spreading food across the whole tank.
Stout, vital, shield, bebi.

Use barley sparingly as it will foul your water...

My shrimp prefer Mosura over BW but seriously, some shrimps love one product that others don't so it's a crapshoot at best. I recommend buying samples to try first before you buy full size. h4n and PIC1 on here both sell samples:)
Samples are an excellent idea.

Which food would you guys rather buy?
U mean which brand of food? I would say neither. Remember that fresh foods are preferred over processed, sort of like growing up on balogna sandwiches versus fresh deli cuts. Neither will kill you however ones loaded with sodium and hardly a healthy choice ;) my suggestion would be to look at the ingredients in their foods then turn to kensfish or yourfishstuff and get the fresh versions. Personally I use supersoft krill, supersoft spirulina, veggie flakes, color bites and algae wafers.
Admitedly, there is some special sauce which they and folks like shirakira and ebiken have which are purposely not listed. But also remember your success in keeping shrimp is largely in part to the quality of water as it is their diets. Shrimp are bottom feeders and will do fine if provided a balanced diet. No real need to spend $20 on a bottle of foods, but the supplements do help to stabilize an otherwise undeveloped tank by feeding the enzymes that they feed on.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Barley shouldn't foul the water at all.At least that was writen on description on BW web 1-1.5 years ago.

Mosura:Excel,BT-9,Gravidas,Shrimpton,Old Sea Mud ,Mosura Tonic Pro

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Barley should not foul water at as I have read. as they use it in Koi ponds to help from fouling water.

I like both brands and use both. but favor these
Stout, vital, shield, bebi, BT-9, Gravidas, BIO +

I have everyfood out there it seems like, and really my shrimp eat all of them sparingly, but nothing beats some fresh veggies! Blanched spinach or baby kale.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Coke/Pepsi/No Name Cola.

Ford/GM/Kia.

Question that can't be answered. lol. Always going to have varied opinions.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I also read barley was an awesome food to feed because it helped preserve water quality. Also all my critters get at it, so I'd highly recommend a form of barley, an algae wafer, a shrimp specific pellet (veggie or otherwise formulated for shrimp health) and a supplement like stout.

At that, you've got a healthy arsenal that should last years.

I know ravens has so much food she gives it away all the time :p

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I know ravens has so much food she gives it away all the time :p

Yep, and it's solely because I didn't try samples first. I have a TON of food my shrimp simply won't eat. A lot were samples which is nice because I was only out a couple bucks each on those. But several were not and I'm out quite a bit of money because of it. I

Shrimp are picky. I've had some shrimp go nuts over a particular food that shrimp in other tanks won't even touch. I'd much rather purchase samples before blowing $10-20 on food that just sits here that I give away or sell small samples of. The only BW product my shrimp will touch is barley and the neos love it, the CRS/Tigers etc could take it or leave it. Some of my shrimp love fresh zucchini, others won't touch it. Just about everybody likes kale, spinach is a toss up. Stinging nettle goes over like a hit in two tanks, the other tank they could take it or leave it. The only food I have in my arsenal that every single shrimp goes nuts over would be Ebiken EI which of course, if designed as a baby food but good for adults and juvies as well. I'm sure someone out there has shrimps that don't touch it. Repashy Soilent Green seems to be a good one they all like as well as Mosura CRS Specialty. So that's 3 foods out of probably 30+ I have on hand.

Seriously, I think everyone should save themselves a headache and loss of money and go with samples first. Unless you don't mind tossing money out if they don't like food.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
That's good advice, Jamie.

I personally have never found a food my neos at least don't devour. Call it luck or intuition, I've only picked foods all my shrimp, Crays and fish eat and share.

Really odd. I'm banking on my future shrimp to like something in my stockpile :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I could buy samples, I would, but... I'm too
young to make a Paypay...= can't buy online. :(

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that I know of, my LFS rarely have
Hikari Shrimp cuisine, so I wouldn' think
they would have those. :/

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Barley will foul water, any decaying plant will. It will raise nitrates and phosphorous, etc.

It doesn't "clean water" in an aquarium, one compressed barley pellet is the same weight as a handful of the pond barley anyway. The way barley is used in ponds, is as the lignin in the barley is consumed, it releases hydrogen peroxide, which kills algae, doesn't clean anything ;)

I used to think the same thing, but it causes nitrate spikes and phosphorous just like every other dead plant! (and had no effect on my algae woes either)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts