The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some borneo wild shield and grow for my cherry shrimp and tiger shrimp nano 3 gal Picotope planted tank.

But the directions for shield say: 1 scoop for every 200 liters. If I'm doing the conversion right, 200 liters = about 53 gallons :icon_eek:. how do I measure 1/15 of a scoop? help? anyone out there use shield for small tanks? how much do you use?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what is SHIELD? Is it a water conditioner or something the shrimp actually eat? does it collect and mix into my substrate? It looks like a bunch of insoluable saw dust so I'm afraid it is just going to "gunk" up my water or look like clods of poop on the bottom of the tank.

from all the posts, people rave about it but looking at it, I'm a bit hesitant to use it. thoughts?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Use a tiny pinch between your fingers. That's what I do on my 3 gallon. They eat some of the bits, the other settles into the substrate. It's not a water conditioner and not really meant to be a food though they do eat some of it.

Shield is a natural product that enhances growth, immunity and anti-disease ability, lowers death rate, and even control white spot when used with fishes. It absorbs toxin and waste such as HNO2, NH3/4, NO3, H2S, assimilate organic waste into micro-organism food, thus creating a balanced environment in high bio-load tank.

Observation: Shrimps will appear in a slight feeding frenzy digging around for the undissolved particles of Shield. You can observe that shrimps becomes much more active and have better appetite.

Composition: Beneficial microbes, beta-glucan, vitamin b group and mineral, amino acids, carotenoid, enzyme, Ginseng/PSB extract, Ginger, colostrum, Mannan Oligosaccharides

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh... so it sounds like a little bit of everything: part bio-filter stimulant material, part food, part sponge. Thanks for the pinch measuring advice.

I hope the stuff dissolves and does not aggregate in the substrate. I'll give it a shot...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you'll want to add a bit of tank water to a small water bottle, then add the tiny amount of shield powder to the bottle and then shake like crazy for a minute or so. then pour into your tank. since its such a small tank you'll want a tiny amount of the powder.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea! I'll pre-mix in tank water first.

By the way, is it danger to overdose the Shield? what harm can it do? I won't tempt fate and be cavalier about dosing but I'm also winging it when I take a pinch and add it to my tank. I'm thinking there must be a generous range for error otherwise I would try to be more precise.

am I right about there being a generous range for error with sampling a pinch of the shield for the 3gal nano?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thats what i do for all of my powdered supplements that i feed to my shrimp tank.

You can overdose and spoil the tank water like you said earlier. better to underdose with powders and foods. it isn't that hard to just scoop out a tiny amount with that spoon they provide.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you wanted to be more exact you can always do the crack method. I have a 4 gallon so measurements are a crazy fractions. Take one spoon amount then split it in half. Then split that half, in half to get 1/4 and so on It's not 100% exact but I think it's more accurate than pinches

·
Registered
880 Posts
The key ingredient in Shield is colostum (I learned this from Liam) its something momma cows (and all mammals I believe) have in their milk only when they have just given birth, it contains something or other that fight off infections until the calf builds up an immune system. So for shrimp, who don't have "active" immune systems, feeding it around once a week will really help them from getting sick.

Sorry I totally butchered the definition of colostum- for a better description, google it, it's pretty interesting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.