The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cherry shrimp just sit around. they dont seem to be picking at anything. just from time to time. there is no more algae in the tank except some BGA. (they dont eat that right?). i put an algae wafer in there and they are totally uninterested.. what gives?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
They're probably full or maybe your tank is heavily planted, where the shrimps can't really see all parts of the tank. I know in one of tanks, which is somewhat heavily planted, the shrimps don't attack the foods that I drop in the tank. My other, which has lots of open areas, will swarm quickly in areas where they see food drop.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
IME, my shrimp come from everywhere, even if I actually HIDE my food under a rock from the fish. So I think its smell than anything. My amano jumps at Hikari Crab cuisine once he smells it. He doesn't go immediately after it once he sees it. Also, when I put fry food, the amano went crazy looking for the food, but couldn't find it, so it was just frantically picking at the substrate.

I think something is wrong with your shrimp, unless they are full, which mine seem to be never. I can't really imagine animals refusing food. They don't know when they can eat next! Maybe the shrimp are domestic enough now lol!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. they are all juvies apparently. they cleaned up all the diatom and hair algae. there is no visible signs of edible algae. they just chill out. occasionally walking around and climbing the plants but NEVER touch the wafers!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are these the cherries in your 2.5g nano tank that you dose excel and flourish in? That could definitely be the cause because they're extra sensitive to these chemicals esp. excel. If they are in your 2.5g nano and you're dosing both these chemicals that could be the result of their behavior. My advice would to be stop using both these chemicals, well all chemicals unless it's Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator and do water changes. See if they come back around. If they're milky in complection then they're dying. Also if they start to swim frantically they're on the verge of dying.

If these aren't the shrimp in your 2.5g nano and they're in your 10g tank the result could be the same thing. Shrimp do not like chemicals.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Are these the cherries in your 2.5g nano tank that you dose excel and flourish in? That could definitely be the cause because they're extra sensitive to these chemicals esp. excel. If they are in your 2.5g nano and you're dosing both these chemicals that could be the result of their behavior. My advice would to be stop using both these chemicals, well all chemicals unless it's Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator and do water changes. See if they come back around. If they're milky in complection then they're dying. Also if they start to swim frantically they're on the verge of dying.

If these aren't the shrimp in your 2.5g nano and they're in your 10g tank the result could be the same thing. Shrimp do not like chemicals.
I have a ton of RCS and some CRS and I think people worry too much about chemicals, I do use excel when I have it and my shrimp don't die:icon_smil . I would just wonder what your temp is? They can be more sluggish at lower temps. Also, try to feed them some blanched spinach to get them to start eating again if you're worried. My shrimp LOVE this stuff!

-Andrew

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a ton of RCS and some CRS and I think people worry too much about chemicals, I do use excel when I have it and my shrimp don't die:icon_smil . I would just wonder what your temp is? They can be more sluggish at lower temps. Also, try to feed them some blanched spinach to get them to start eating again if you're worried. My shrimp LOVE this stuff!

-Andrew
I've heard a lot of different opinions on using chemicals with RCS with different results. I know he's using 2 different chemicals in a nano tank. Nano tanks are a little harder to keep water parameters balanced. That's my reasoning.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've heard a lot of different opinions on using chemicals with RCS with different results. I know he's using 2 different chemicals in a nano tank. Nano tanks are a little harder to keep water parameters balanced. That's my reasoning.
Yeah I understand where you're coming from. I'm saying I wouldn't worry... I've been breeding RCS since this past Sept. started with about 20 have at least 5 maybe 10 times as many now....

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
The only chemical that you have to worry about is copper. Excel is only hazardous if you overdose by quite a bit.

How long have you been trying with the algae wafer? It might take shrimps a couple of days to figure out what it is, especially if they've never been fed before and have been relying on algae.

If it's been longer than that, then I would take a look at other issues. Shrimps have a great sense of smell and once they're used to eating prepared food, will sense food the second that it hits the water; especially amanos.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The only chemical that you have to worry about is copper. Excel is only hazardous if you overdose by quite a bit.
And he means QUITE a bit, at least past 2x OD since I've done that with no really ill effects... maybe two or three died out of 200 since they got stuck in a cloud of the stuff....

-Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts