The Planted Tank Forum banner

Boraras or CPDs in a 2 gallon uncovered tank

2048 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  jeremyTR
Recently I've been helping a friend of mine set up 2 fish tanks, using old tanks that he had as a kid. They are both small tanks, around 1-2 gallons in size.

He has decided that he will keep a betta in one. However, the stocking for the other tank is still undecided. The dimensions of the tank are 5w x 11l x 8.5h, and it is slightly trapezoidal in shape. The tank lacks a cover, and because of the difficulty of finding one due to the unconventional shape, he's decided to keep the tank open-top. The tank is planted with some low-light plants, and has a ceramic log.

He doesn't like shrimp or guppies or white clouds. Out of the nano fish I've shown him, he likes CPDs and Boraras merah the best. If he were to have CPDs in the tank, how many could he have? How many Boraras could he have? The tank will only have one species; it is just a matter of deciding which one. Would there be any fear of the Boraras jumping out? Also, how skittish are Boraras? My friend wants to actually be able to see the fish.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Boraras spp. do like to jump, and CPDs are a little shy. I'd do something like dwarf cories or emerald rasboras.
Dwarf cories are a great choice as with emerald rasboras, Endler guppies are also a good choice, they look far more beautiful than most other guppies.
Just a note: Endlers aren't Guppies. Both livebearers, not the same fish.

That said... your friend could add a bunch of floating plants and that would help eliminate jumpers. Always works for me on small tanks.
somewhatshocked is correct that endlers are separate from guppies.

However there are endler guppies made from endler x guppy crosses. :p
I don't like my galaxy danio I have had them almost a year now. They are shy and hide all the time. They also stay close to the bottom. I have to sneak up on them to watch them. They are like wild animals and get spooked easy. Stupid fish. I would not get them again. I am moving the 7 I have from my 7gal to a planted 80gal community and we will see how they do. I hope they do better with other fish around maybe it will make them less shy.

1-2 gal is too small for anything to be happy long term.

What about a pair of scarlet badis. They are cute and tiny.
Now he's leaning towards either emerald rasboras or Boraras. What would be a good amount of each?
I say get a bigger tank.
I say get a bigger tank.
+1

-5g tanks are only good for shrimp or breeding purpose. Or when you're mad at a fish...
Boraras spp. do like to jump, and CPDs are a little shy. I'd do something like dwarf cories or emerald rasboras.
Now he's leaning towards either emerald rasboras or Boraras. What would be a good amount of each?
The fish formerly known as Emerald Rasbora have like CPD's been reclassified as a Danio, and are "cousins" to the CPD's, they can actually cross breed from reports I have read.

They also have a very similar personality, both are pretty jittery and hide quite a bit. I had to rearrange my tanks to make sure they were out and about more.
+1 get a bigger tank. two bigger tanks, for that matter. nothing except shrimp (MAYBE) and snails, not even a betta will be happy in 1-2 gallons long term.
CPD's do best in large schools I have understood by reading around and they do jump as well so open top may be a bad idea. If it was a larger tank with a lower waterline, well maybe but I would not risk it. I had a school of 10 and they were no too skittery but then again they had not much to hide behind. They hung out in the mid tank in my 20L, but a 20L is almost nothing to begin with right? :) My complaint though is that they are super sensitive to any water changes. Do not expect them to live long.
I have a dozen caridinals and 22+ CPD (our lfs call them galaxy rasboras) in a heavily planted 20 gallon tall tank at the moment.

The cardinals tend to swim along the rear of the tank while the CPDs hover mainly in midlevel and weave through the plants at any given moment. My tank is about 1/3 covered infloaters which offer shade and the tank occupants consist of a baby bristlenose pleco, panda cories and 3 amanos. a 1 gallon tank would be way too small for any schooling fish. any juvenile fish you put in there would soon outgrow it. You can consider some exotic snails and shrimp which would be fine in that small container. Otos would also be ok too.
+1

-5g tanks are only good for shrimp or breeding purpose. Or when you're mad at a fish...
Hahaha yeah naughty fish get banned to the small tank. I had a pair of sparkling Gouramis in a 20gal. They were being too mean to my shrimp so off to the 5gal they went.

My galaxy danios are over a year old they are hardy little things ime. Almost too hardy haha.
Shrimp and only shrimp.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.