The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in this fish for a while but I'm a bit worried that they may be a bit shy for my liking. I just found some at Nano-Fish. I'm wondering if they truly do have bright coloration. Do they school well and do they like to hide in the plants? I was going to get some microrasbora sp. galaxy but decided against it when I saw them at the LFS hiding in the plants. If anyone as any first had experience with any Boraras species, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I just recently got 5 boraras merah and they school decent and are out and about majority of them time. I just got 5 more today cause they are a lot smaller then one would think.

The merah's I got aren't as vibrant as the "phoenix" name which is the same thing but what I got are a lot younger and came from a LFS. They have increased in color a bit though from what they looked liked at the LFS so I think they will be as vibrant when everything is said and done.

The brigattae seem to be more red from all the pictures compared to the other micros picture percentage wise when I did a search so I imagine the chances of getter a bright one is greater.

I had a choice between the Merah,
merculata and the galaxy and I chose the merah. The galaxy's didn't do it for me and they look like stumpy danios more then microrasboras.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, actually I was thinking the same thing about the microrasbora galaxy. I wasn't too impressed with the way they hid amongst the plants. I'm glad your boraras merah are doing well. What type of food are you feeding them, and do keep them with anything else?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I love my B brigittae...if you get enough of them, like 30-40 they will not be so shy... Beautiful fish.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If anyone as any first had experience with any Boraras species, I would appreciate it.
I have had Boraras maculata in my planted 12 gallon for awhile and I really love them! Gorgeous coloration, teeny size and they are always out front and actively swimming around. Really perfect for small tanks.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I am keeping mine with RCS right now cause I bought them for a tank I am planning to set up here shortly but didn't want to chance not being able to find them later.

I am feeding mine HBH 8veggie flakes and NLS

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wow, cool looking fish. How big of a tank are you keeping them in? Do they school or are they scattered around the tank?
Well, if I can get my hands on more of them, I will, but for now, they don't shoal/school so much.

They are in a 20 gallon along with 5 threadfin rainbows, 3 oto's, and about 7 amano shrimp.

I feed them about as wide an assortment as you can think of.

Live: Grindal worms, blackworms (cut), tubifex
Frozen: Cyclops, daphnia, blood worms
Dry: Just about every "tropical" flake on the market, NLS "Small", Boyd's Vita Diet "Small", An assortment of stuff from Ken's fish

As you can probably tell, I don't believe in the "staple" diet concept.

I figure if they don't like one thing, they'll get something they might like on the next feeding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I plan on keeping my B. brigittae in a 60 gallon tank with ember tetras and emerald eye rasboras. Actually after seeing a picture of B. merah, I'm torn between the two.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think I'm becoming a closet microrasbora fan. I love my Galaxies and I'm gonna start keeping my eyes open for other small guys when I'm checking out LFS'.

Tommy

·
Registered
408 Posts
Brigittae are awesome, the coloration is great too. If you have too much current though, the fish aren't going to color up very well.

They don't really school, but they do have their moments moving as a crowd. They don't hide in the plants but cruise around near the bottom half of the aquarium hunting for things that are hiding in the HC.

I think I received a merah by accident, and it didn't compare to the brigittae at all.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Erijnal: That's good to know, and it helps me narrow down my choice between the two. B. merah actually cost a bit more than B. brigittae so that may be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to comment on my brigittae's transition from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank.

Both are pretty well planted, and my 11 brigittae cruised around in my 10 gallon, but once I moved them to my 20 gallon to make space for my celestial pearl danios, they displayed extremely vibrant reds and their behavior has changed significantly. Even the runt of my group is glowing. So although these fish do fine in smaller tanks, putting them in a larger tank will show you really nice results.

Just as a note, they are the only fish in the tank.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Were they the only fish in the tank in the 10 gallon? I keep two (two died) in a 2 gallon with some Boraras Micros and only one shows a very deep red.

According to this:http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwat...ater-aquariums/species-info/boraras-brigittae

the alpha male has the deep red while the others are either weaker males or females. I found this true for the Boraras Micros as well. I had 5 (now 3) and the whole time only 1 has a nice red.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In the 10 gallon, the fish had some dwarf cories for company, but they pretty much ignored each other. Even in the 10 gallon, I still saw good coloration, with each fish showing a full-body red, but now that they're in the 20 gallon, they're deep scarlet.

Yeah that article's incorrect. Either that or I have 10 alpha males hahaha. Maybe it's the fact that you only had a total of four of the fish? I started out with 25 and there were some that didn't show that great coloration, but the 11 I still have right now all have standout reds. It's also possible that all my fish are males because I've never had any sort of spawning activity happen in my tanks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
With their size, they may very likely get eaten by Discus, most certainly the case with large angelfish....

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.