The Planted Tank Forum banner

301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
@691175002 How are the CPD fry doing? I have been very interested in if they breed easily at home. Also, I am looking to do a similar stack of 3 tanks - after running the herbie system for several months do you see any noisy siphoning issues with the 3 connecting tees? My understanding is that you should have a straight shot to the sump and any tees can create additional bubbles/noise. Was it easy to obtain the trickle of water down all 3 emergency connections?

Thank you,

Love this thread!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
@691175002 How are the CPD fry doing? I have been very interested in if they breed easily at home. Also, I am looking to do a similar stack of 3 tanks - after running the herbie system for several months do you see any noisy siphoning issues with the 3 connecting tees? My understanding is that you should have a straight shot to the sump and any tees can create additional bubbles/noise. Was it easy to obtain the trickle of water down all 3 emergency connections?

Thank you,

Love this thread!!!
Fry continue to show up in the sump, unfortunately the arrival of summer put my apartment at 30c/86f for a few days. The aquariums themselves tend to run a couple degrees hotter than the surrounding air, and it hit the shrimp and CPD pretty hard. I've got AC now so it shouldn't happen again.

I've still got quite a few fry and have started moving the larger ones into the middle tank, it turns out that at least half of them were pacific blue eye. I also did a major trim and vacuum/rescape since the tanks had been receiving no maintenance other than water changes for quite some time.

I just used my phone for these pictures, fry are a real PITA to photograph.

Pacific blue-eye fry underneath the clown kili:

CPD fry, might need a few more weeks to start showing red:

Java fern was becoming too large for these tanks so I got rid of it all. I also heavily trimmed the lower tanks.

The overflows operate flawlessly and are very easy to adjust. Every few months the flow through a valve might get reduced (leaves? algae?) but if you just open and close it a bit it goes back to normal. You can see the overflow in the center tank is perfectly balanced between the two drains - its been like that for days.

Overall the plumbing has been essentially perfect, I must warn you that cleaning stacked tanks is a major PITA though. Handling a gravel vacuum or algae scraper is very difficult.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@691175002 Nice pic! Everything looks so amazing - thanks for the info on cleaning, I'm very glad to hear your plumbing is working out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The controller switches on the low side so it never actually sees the 15V. I just wire everything to a common ground.

Wiring it like this was a bit of a gamble. I wouldn't try it on a current regulator but this guy is just MOSFETs.
so found your post today and thinking i'm going to give that controller your using a try. now do you need an additional hue bridge component to tie it all together (you mention using hue lights in your apartment) or is it a standalone item that can be programed via the app over wifi?

Also i'm going to have a similar wiring conundrum. my main light is a 48in Beamswork 3watt EVO light. uses 21V I beleave and will be around 6.8amps if it is actually driving the leds on it at 3watts I beleave they underpowered it it so will be more like 4-5 amps. anyways would what you did work the same with some 12v RB rigid strips? or is the voltage/amperage difference too much (i'm not an electrical engineer no clue if it makes a difference) and if I understand it right I would wire the controller 12V and the ground of the 21V power supply to the ground of the controller. Hook the RGB up as normal to the controller, and the beamswork I would ground to the W connector and hook the + side to the 21V directly?

my original plan was to use a TC420 controller could the same wiring trick be used on that as well?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts

And yes, I am aware this is a very complex way of setting up 18g of display space.
Which is precisely the reason that I have subscribed to this thread. I appreciate you candor regarding cleaning your 9" high tanks stacked 4 high (3 display and 1 sump). I will be using 20L and thicker shelves (increased weight), so the 12" tank height and additional 2" shelf height would even be more prohibitive with 4 levels. Your candor has convinced me to design for 3 high (2 display and 1 sump) so that I don't tire of the maintenance. I'll just have multiple columns of tanks (additional racks). :D

I want to something between what you've done and what they've done at Zen Aquarium in Seattle with their rimless tanks floating on racks.
I'm having trouble actually sharing the foto link, it's about 3/4 way down the page:
Aquarium Zen

301 - 306 of 306 Posts