The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good book or series of online classes or anything for a newbie who is trying to get into this hobby of planted tanks? I just have a nano freshwater tank and am looking to learn more before wasting more money on things I don't need. I'm also pretty overwhelmed by all the different material online and just need to find a good starting point to understand some fundamentals. My local aquarium shop is great, but it's small and the owner is spread pretty thin, so I don't think she has time to try to educate me every time I think I need something new.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
591 Posts
Take a several weeks reading here, The Two Hour Aquarist, UK Aquatic Plant Society (UKAPS) and also YouTube. Find posters with great looking tanks and see what they are doing. The key is to see photos of their tanks. Tank journals are especially good for this. Find tanks with a style that you really like and start by building a similar one.

I hate to say it but you may find better information online than at your local fish store(LFS), especially for plants. You may be able to purchase some good specimens at your LFS but don't expect a lot of informed advice on keeping them unless they have well maintained specimen/display tanks.

Bottom line is to take your time researching before making any purchase decisions. Patience is essential for a successful planted tank.

Good luck and let us know what your plan becomes!

PS. Regarding algae. There are two kinds of aquarists: those who have algae and those who say they don't!

·
Super Moderator
15,892 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good book or series of online classes or anything for a newbie who is trying to get into this hobby of planted tanks?
You've already found it. As others have suggested? This forum is the source you need. So start reading. Go through all the stickied posts, read through tank journals (Tank Journals is my favorite section of the forum), read through some problem posts about topics you're interested in. It's a treasure trove.

I say that because there's no one, singular method to accomplish anything. Nothing is set in stone. So individual guides should not be your primary source of information. Definitely check out what's been suggested (avoid YouTube unless you're sure they know what they're talking about, as most don't focus on in-depth information and cater to people with no real desire to learn beyond aesthetics), read through some guides and seriously - dig in to the forum.

One other guide to recommend is the original PlantedTank.net guide, which is available via Amazon. It was the forum's go-to guide for beginners for a long time and was written by Wasserpest. But you for real don't have to spend any money to learn. It's all right here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts