The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before my planted tank, I was and still am quite a bonsai enthusiast. Was wondering if anyone else shared the same interests. I find it just so interesting because I'm totally obsessed with recreating scenes of nature.

Here are a few of my projects. Recently taken "Falling in Color"

Work Station #1

Project 1: Acer

Close up of leaves of Acer

Project 2: Schefflera

Project 3: Serissa Foetida aka Thousand Stars

Close up of Serissa: Thousand Stars

Japanese Maple

Moss Carpet

Seemingly similar to carpeting for planted tanks <wink> <wink>

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Those look nice. How long have you had the maple going?

I have tried bonsai a little bit, but I found them to be too demanding. Watering was particularly challenging.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think we have a good sized japanese maple out by our pond. Its the coolest damn tree I have ever seen. I should of got a picture of it. One side turned a bright orange while the other side turned a dark rich red color, almost like it glowed. I stared at it for like 15 minutes a few weeks ago. Fall is here. I'll have to see what it looks like tomorrow....or later today (need to go to bed) and snap a pic.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those look nice. How long have you had the maple going?

I have tried bonsai a little bit, but I found them to be too demanding. Watering was particularly challenging.
this summer was very generous with all the rain that we've got in northern virginia. i've had the maple for about a year and it's almost doubled in size. the maple was actually a layered project where i took a branch and placed soil around a small surgical area and allowed to root. i couldn't afford a maple with that crazy retail price. and about the watering, i totally understand. if you forget to water, you're in trouble lol.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we have a good sized japanese maple out by our pond. Its the coolest damn tree I have ever seen. I should of got a picture of it. One side turned a bright orange while the other side turned a dark rich red color, almost like it glowed. I stared at it for like 15 minutes a few weeks ago. Fall is here. I'll have to see what it looks like tomorrow....or later today (need to go to bed) and snap a pic.
oh wow please take a picture! lol strange how you get lost in them trees lol.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Yeah if you fail to water for just a day or two during the hot summer you can loose most of an expensive and irreplaceable collection. That's the main thing that deterred me from doing any more bonsai.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hydro, i don't blame you lol. i basically stopped buying too...just too damn expensive to take up, also the expensive pots that i have to keep on buying. i stopped at 7 trees anymore then i'll be in trouble. fyi, i just moved my whole backyard into my house haha. <- another deterrent.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I have a tree in my yard at my other house that I would love to take clippings from to start a bonsai, it's some sort of decorative cherry tree, but the sheer length of time involved in it is kind of daunting. Bonsai projects are measured in years, not months like aquatic plants.
But I was really into it for a few months, doing a bunch of research, all the different styles and rules are pretty confusing. (though I guess the same could be said about aquascaping.)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I just found out that there is a Bonsai store right down the road from my parents' house, so I went there the other day, and now all I can think about is having my own bonsai tree. This thread is just occurring at the appropriate time, for me. :)

I'm going back up there today, just so I can look at all the different species of tree they offer. The only ones I'll be able to afford are the ones that are younger than 2-3 years, but that's okay.

What do you guys use for lighting for your bonsai trees? I want mine to be indoors, so I'm definitely going to need artificial lighting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Church you will be looking for indoor type bonsais! dont ask the store staff ( same thing like they do with nonwater plants in aquariums , u know why ) :p so outdoor bonsai will live for some weeks inside after that they have to put outside.
I'm not so lucky to have where to buy a bonsai, so i grown my own for about 10 year now with all the ups and the downs... maybe one day i will post some pictures ...

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Here is the place right down the street from me. They've been around for 30 years and I've never heard of them before the other day! Their website is pretty nice, and shows a lot of the types of trees they carry. The dude I talked to up there seemed pretty knowledgeable, and was a very nice guy, so I will go back and pick his brain.

Can anyone suggest which types of bonsais are better suited for indoors?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh man I love Bonsais, but I've killed most all the ones I've had and only have this Jade plant in a bonsai pot left. It's over 20 yrs with me now and I don't have to water it everyday. In fact I forget to water it for weeks sometimes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Those are beautiful urbguy. I have been wanting to do bonsai (is that how you say that) for a long time. My planted tank seems to suck up all my money though. My little terrarium will have to satisfy my 'mini terrestrial nature' cravings for now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice watering sistem there man!

I call mine ...... Mother! ( she is in charge to do it with all my aquariums water chage water...)

Someone said once: Bonsai are retired peoples hobby!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Succulent pseudobonsai

I don't grow true bonsai, but I do grow a number of succulents that have a bonsai-like growth form. Examples are Euphorbia capsaintemariensis and Euphorbia francoisii. Also, many have caudexes (they are called caudiciforms) with gnarled, above-ground bases that also have a bonsai-like appearance. I kow of quite a few people that grow actual bonsia using succulents, in fact there is an e-mail group devoted to the subject.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts