The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Bolivian Rams in my tank the have been in there for a month now. The only thing that I can get them to eat are live bloodworms. I have Angel fish, Denizen barbs, Bristle nose plecos, and Siamese Algae eaters . Everything else is doing awesome water conditions are good etc. I feed my fish flakes, frozen blood worms, Frozen Mysis Shrimp. Everyone except the Rams attack the food with gusto.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What is the temperature in the tank? Rams like it warmer than most, at least 80. Might not be the solution, but one thing to look at.

·
Registered
588 Posts
They may not eat flakes and mysis might be too large. Some fish need coaxing to eat a variety of foods, especially if their favorite is readily available.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the temps set at 78 degrees; I'm a little hesitant to raise it above that because of the plants. If they don't start eating different foods soon I will more than likely rehome them.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Rams mostly eat off the bottom. Pellets are best. +1 to shrimp ones. I use Wardley's (sp?) and Ken's (from kensfish com, good and cheap). NLS's 1 - 2 mm pellets are good too as are Hikare's (sp?) Algae Wafers.

Don't feed them any live / frozen food for a week. They will not starve.

Temps at 80-82℉ are good for Rams and Angels and will not harm 99% of the plants. Increase your surface agitation a bit for more o2 if you raise temp.

My $0.02.

v3

·
Registered
820 Posts
My rams love shrimp pellets
Same here
+1 totally agree with shrimp pellets and cichlid pellets too...my BR's love NLS thera A, api shrimp pellets, aqueon tropical flakes, and omega one shrimp pellets.....I too had to re-train mine from the blood worms...I didn't feed or offer any frozen foods for 1 month to my whole tank and they began to eat all the dried foods 1 week in...so now I only offer the frozen as a treat...good luck

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is some great advice ! I will try some of these ideas starting with the pellets and withholding frozen and live foods. Maybe boost the temp a bit as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe Bolivian ram's don't necessarily need the higher temp's that the German blue Ram's enjoy.
This is the reason I went with these opposed to the Germans . I have read and was told by the person I bought them from that 78 degrees was warm enough for them.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mine refuse to eat flake as well. They snarf down the tetra color tropical crisps like crazy. The tetra color crisps float but will also sink if you release them below the water level. I've been able to "train" my bolivians to eat at the top. I add flake in first for the rest of the fish. I put a small pinch of crisps in next and let them float to the bottom. I then put another pinch and let it float around. After 2 months the rams are now eating from the top of the tank. Rams in general tend to be picky. Just have to find what they like.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Might try and source some earthworm flake or for the less squeamish,,,chopped earth worm bit's.
I used to feed these to Discus.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I feed a super varied diet to my fish including various flake, pellet, and frozen. My Bolivian rams even try to eat the shrimp pellet and algae wafers that are for my corys. However they do tend to stay at the bottom if the tank during feeding time, so I send some food to them by dropping it into the flow of my hob filter. Goes right to them! They sound spoiled with live bloodworms, no wonder they won't eat anything else. Also I think my temp is 79 so i think you are good as far as that goes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I feed a super varied diet to my fish including various flake, pellet, and frozen. My Bolivian rams even try to eat the shrimp pellet and algae wafers that are for my corys. However they do tend to stay at the bottom if the tank during feeding time, so I send some food to them by dropping it into the flow of my hob filter. Goes right to them! They sound spoiled with live bloodworms, no wonder they won't eat anything else. Also I think my temp is 79 so i think you are good as far as that goes.
I have tried totally eliminating the live blood worms for over a week at a time. I end up getting more so they have something to eat. I have tried frozen blood worms, frozen spiralina brine shrimp, tetra bits and flake food. I have purposely targeted them with food. The brine shrimp and any other food can float right past them and they will simply ignore it. I am going to get some small cichlid pellets and see how those work. Canceling all live and frozen foods for now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts