The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Isn't it also known that lobsters actually "scream" (for lack of a better word) when they are submerged into boiling water? Like, it can be heard if you place a stethoscope up to the pot and listen?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If i boil substrate that has MTS in it will it kill all the MTS, or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks
All kidding aside. It will sterilize everything and you will have to recycle your tank to get the beneficial bacteria back in your substrate. An over population of snails is usually due to over feeding. Reduce feedings and you will reduce snails. That woud be the more natural way....

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Well I googled it up, and the first result I clicked on was just a wikianswers post, and it said this is a myth. Of course, this is from wikianswers, not a scientist or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If it is not "urban legend" I believe the first law that Hitler signed into law was that Lobsters should be prepared by boiling.

That tell you something? LOL!
i beleive this method is the only approved method from the FDA? i may totally wrong about the organazation that set that rule. but i think its the FDA.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Isn't it also known that lobsters actually "scream" (for lack of a better word) when they are submerged into boiling water? Like, it can be heard if you place a stethoscope up to the pot and listen?
Wikipedia to the rescue!

A common misconception is that a lobster screams when boiled; this is due to steam escaping the shell, creating a whistling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Substrate is not in my tank, I am getting it from someone and would prefer not to have it full of MTS.

All kidding aside. It will sterilize everything and you will have to recycle your tank to get the beneficial bacteria back in your substrate. An over population of snails is usually due to over feeding. Reduce feedings and you will reduce snails. That woud be the more natural way....

·
Registered
80 Posts
aww I was dying to say that about the lobsters,I read it in a book somewhere that they make the whistl,oh well you got there first I guess:icon_roll

·
Registered
18 Posts
i worked at red lobster. they dont scream.

what's even worse: usually they don't feed lobsters in tanks at restaurants and stores so that they don't have partially digested food in their stomachs. the insides are a delicacy in other countries from what i was told.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.