The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hii all , i read on google the water from boiled banana peel contain potassium and magnesium which probably good nutrients for plants

I can't find any articles on forums or on google about this especially for aquatic plants , im wondering if anyone has tried it as fertilizer for aquatic plants

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have not tried it and I would definitely recommend against it unless its purely for your own scientific curiosity and not in a display tank.

The reason I don't recommend it is you are not going to know 1) how much of any nutrient is being released, 2) how to consistently get the same amounts of nutrient, 3) you don't know what other nutrients are being released and their quantities, and 4) you don't know what potentially harmful compounds are on the banana peel.

Fertilizing aquariums is all about finding precise balance and repeating it over and over again. While its nice to have something 'organic' the reality is that this is not practical for home aquariums. While we try to replicate nature in our home aquariums the reality is that having a pool of water no more then a few hundred gallons (at most) filled with plants is super unnatural. In nature the plants we keep would be in much larger bodies of water or be in a constantly flowing stream.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tried it and I would definitely recommend against it unless its purely for your own scientific curiosity and not in a display tank.

The reason I don't recommend it is you are not going to know 1) how much of any nutrient is being released, 2) how to consistently get the same amounts of nutrient, 3) you don't know what other nutrients are being released and their quantities, and 4) you don't know what potentially harmful compounds are on the banana peel.

Fertilizing aquariums is all about finding precise balance and repeating it over and over again. While its nice to have something 'organic' the reality is that this is not practical for home aquariums. While we try to replicate nature in our home aquariums the reality is that having a pool of water no more then a few hundred gallons (at most) filled with plants is super unnatural. In nature the plants we keep would be in much larger bodies of water or be in a constantly flowing stream.
thanks for reply , yes that's exactly my concern thats why im not sure to try it, i dont know if it would be harmful or not like exact how much nutrients is being released and other nutrients or bad compound

·
Registered
672 Posts
I put a few banana peel in my outdoor daphnia culture tub as fertilizer. It fouled up the water, smelled sulfur, and I could not find any live daphnia. I thought I killed the daphnia , but fortunately they returned next year. Banana peel may be a good source of K and other minerals, but you can over kill without knowing the right dosage.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've never tried, but I suspect boiling would effectively remove most of the K and Mg in the peel. I does not seem worthwhile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bananas are force ripened with sulphur during transit. I would not add any banana peels to any aquarium. I have added banana directly to vivariums without any negative issues however.

Sometimes there is no reason to try and reinvent the wheel, especially when these nutrients are so easily dosed in high qualitypowder form.

YMMV I'd avoid it at all costs. Theres a lot more to them than two nutrients.

-Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts